What does the integral represent?

• Thread starter Manni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is related to the derivative through the fundamental theorem of calculus and is calculated using upper and lower limits of integration. The integral can be negative and has many real-life applications in various fields.
Manni
Hey guys I was trying to think conceptually and got a little lost. If R(t) represents the rate of volume per unit time what would it's integral represent?

My initial guess was that it represents the total volume over that interval of time but it feels incomplete, or even wrong.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try saying "total volume change" instead of just "total volume". Does it feel better now?

Yup, I don't know why I was questioning my definition so much. Thanks Dick :)

1. What is the definition of an integral?

The integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is typically denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the total area under a curve, the volume of a solid, or the net change in a function over a given interval.

2. How is the integral related to the derivative?

The integral and the derivative are inversely related. The derivative represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while the integral represents the total change of a function over a given interval. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function.

3. What does the upper and lower limit of integration represent?

The upper and lower limit of integration define the beginning and end points of the interval over which the integral is calculated. The upper limit is the upper bound of the interval, while the lower limit is the lower bound. These limits determine the range of values over which the accumulation is calculated.

4. Can the integral be negative?

Yes, the integral can be negative. This typically occurs when the function being integrated has negative values over the interval. The negative value of the integral represents the net decrease or decrease in the quantity being accumulated over the given interval.

5. How is the integral used in real-life situations?

The integral has many applications in real-life situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by a moving object, the total revenue generated by a business, or the total amount of water in a reservoir. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve real-world problems.