Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What elements of Gen. Chemistry I are important in II

1. Dec 20, 2004 #1
    What elements of Gen. Chemistry I are important in II

Besides balancing, limited reactions, etc...what will I reallly really need for II?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2
    Normally in the second semester you study colligative properties, equilibrium, kinetics, thermodynamics and electrochemistry.

Stoichiometry like you mentioned is pretty important, as is basic thermodynamics. Often when you get the equilibrium problems involving gases, you will need a good background in the gas laws. I really can't think of anything thats not important. Perhaps molecular orbital theory isn't stressed so much, but you really need this in organic so don't think its unimportant. Crystalline structure (SC, FCC, BCC, etc.) also isn't used much.

4. Dec 21, 2004 #3
    honestly I have to say Gen chem is the most important chem class you'll ever take. It provides the foundation for classes in inorganic and physical chemistry. You will see many of the concept taught in gen chem again if you decide to take more upper level chemistry.

5. Dec 21, 2004 #4
    Well, I'm a physics major....so beyond chemistry 2 I wont see it again I presume.

6. Dec 21, 2004 #5
    You will definitely see thermodynamics again if you are a physics major. Also, quantum theory, quantum #'s , energy levels, etc. are all covered in gen chem. which I am also positive you will see again. General chemistry=PHYSICAL chemistry jr. basically. Noticed how I stressed physical. P chem is just really sort of like chemical physics.

7. Dec 21, 2004 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gen chem II should be a bit more advanced than I, I would have taken principles of chemistry I rather than gen chem II.

You'll need everything required of Gen Chem I and more.......

8. Dec 23, 2004 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The single most important thing that you have to know is the very first thing you learn: nomenclature. You'll get nowhere without it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?