What else Albert Einstein's contributions in optic and photonics?

In summary, Planck's work in quantum mechanics led to the discovery of quantised energy, which was later further developed by Einstein into the theory of relativity and the principles of quantum mechanics.
pacificmoon
I only found "photoelectric" as his important contribution in optic
anybody know what else related to photonics?

Thx...

Science news on Phys.org
quantanised energy?

Einstein's relation for spontaneous emission, stimulated emission and absorption?

It's perhaps idiotic, but I do think it is an important contribution to optics to state that the speed of light in vacuum is a constant..:wink:

Last edited:
expscv said:
quantanised energy?
That is due to Planck.

arildno said:
It's perhaps idiotic, but I do think it is an important contribution to optics to state that the speed of light in vacuum is a constant..:wink:
Thank this one to Maxwell, Einstein was able to make it a postulate of Relativity because it was a well known property.

thank you all :)

Re: quantised energy being due to Planck.
I'm not so sure about that. I want to say yes and no. Planck employed quantised energy in his equation but it was Einstein that put forward the radical idea of quantising the elecromagnetic radiation field comparing it to a gas. The notion of a light particle or 'light complex' also appears in section eight of Einstein's paper on the electrodynamics of moving bodies. Planck thought the quantisation was more something to do with the interaction of the radiation with the matter of the walls of the blackbody and wasn't keen about Einstein's idea.

Albert Einstein, Ann. Phys. (Leipzig) 33, 1275 (1910); english translation: "Theory of Opalescence of Homogeneous Liquids and Mixtures of Liquids in the Vicinity of the Critical State", in Colloid Chemistry, J. Alexander, ed. (Rheinhold, New York, 1913), Vol. I, p. 323.

My professor explained that Planck was forced to make the (at the time seemingly random and non-sensical) assumption that energy was quantised in order to solve a problem in blackbody radiation, but that Einstein was the first to begin to make sense of the result. Quantum Mechanics was then further developed/fleshed out by buys like Bohr, Heisenberg, Fermi, Dirac, Pauli etc.

Integral said:
Thank this one to Maxwell, Einstein was able to make it a postulate of Relativity because it was a well known property.

Actually, the constancy of the speed of light wasn't a well known property at the time Einstein formulated SR. At the time, it was an educated guess based on some indirect experimental evidence such as the Michelson Morley experiment. It by no means was a well known property and at the time many physicists did not believe it to be true.

explaining the photoelectrical effect

OldTee said:
Einstein's relation for spontaneous emission, stimulated emission and absorption?

This is the most relevant of Einstein's work in terms of photonics because the Einstein A and B coefficients form the foundation of laser theory.

Claude.

What is Albert Einstein's most famous contribution in optics and photonics?

Albert Einstein's most famous contribution in optics and photonics is his theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity which revolutionized our understanding of space and time.

Did Albert Einstein make any other contributions in optics and photonics?

Yes, in addition to his theory of relativity, Albert Einstein also made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics, specifically in the study of the photoelectric effect and the concept of photons.

How did Albert Einstein's work in optics and photonics impact the scientific community?

Albert Einstein's work in optics and photonics had a huge impact on the scientific community. His theories and discoveries helped pave the way for advancements in our understanding of light, energy, and the fundamental laws of the universe.

What is the significance of Albert Einstein's famous equation E=mc2 in optics and photonics?

Albert Einstein's famous equation E=mc2 is significant in optics and photonics because it relates mass and energy, and demonstrates the fundamental connection between the two. This equation has been used to explain many phenomena in optics and photonics, including the behavior of light and the properties of photons.

How does Albert Einstein's work in optics and photonics continue to impact modern science?

Albert Einstein's work in optics and photonics continues to have a significant impact on modern science. His theories and discoveries have led to new technologies and applications in areas such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar cells. His work also continues to inspire new research and advancements in the field of optics and photonics.