What exactly is the purpose of square-rooting

In summary, square roots have practical applications in various situations such as finding the edge length of a square with a given area, calculating time or distance in physics, and solving problems in construction and carpentry. They also have a deeper significance in mathematics and have been studied since ancient times by philosophers like Plato.
Niaboc67
I am sure there must be some ultimate purpose to it. But I just don't understand what the point is of square-rooting. All the math I do is abstract and doesn't apply to real-world situations and the physical world. Is there something to square-rooting numbers that is relatable to the real-world?

Please explain
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The super obvious example is that if the area of a square is ##A##, then the edge length is ##\sqrt{A}##. But there are of course lots of other examples where square roots are useful. My favorite example is from special relativity, which says that if two clocks are at the same location, but one of them is moving with speed v relative to the other, then an observer comoving with one of the clocks will conclude that the ticking rate of the other clock is slow by a factor of
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}},$$ where c is the speed of light in a vacuum, 299792458 m/s.

Are these the sort of examples that you want to see?

If you go 3 meters to the north and 3 meters to the east, then you are ##\sqrt{3^2+4^2}=5## meters away from your original location.

An object falling down by d=5 meters will need ##\sqrt{\frac{2d}{g}} \approx 1s## to reach the ground (where ##g=9.81\frac{m}{s^2}##).

A carpenter friend of mine asked me a question about installing a ceiling light fixture. The part of the fixture that was fastened to the ceiling was circular, with a diameter of 6". He wanted to know how large a square hole he could cut in the ceiling so that the square opening was hidden by the fixture. Using simple trig gives an answer of ##\sqrt{18} = 3\sqrt{2} \approx 4.2 \text{ inches}##.

" Let no man ignorant of geometry enter here " - Plato

Niaboc67 said:
I am sure there must be some ultimate purpose to it. But I just don't understand what the point is of square-rooting. All the math I do is abstract and doesn't apply to real-world situations and the physical world. Is there something to square-rooting numbers that is relatable to the real-world?

Please explain
Thank you
If your "real- world" consists of saying "would you like fries with that", there is absolutely no use for square roots!

Likes Mentallic, pwsnafu, symbolipoint and 1 other person

1. What is the mathematical definition of square-rooting?

Square-rooting is the mathematical operation that finds a number which, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. It is essentially the inverse of squaring a number.

2. Why is square-rooting important in mathematics and science?

Square-rooting is important because it allows us to solve equations involving squared numbers and find the side lengths of squares and other geometric shapes. In science, it is used to calculate values such as velocity, acceleration, and energy.

3. How is square-rooting related to exponents?

Square-rooting is related to exponents because it is the inverse operation of raising a number to the power of 2. For example, the square root of 9 can be written as √9 or 9^(1/2).

4. Can square-rooting be applied to negative numbers?

Yes, square-rooting can be applied to negative numbers. However, the result will be a complex number, as there is no real number that when squared gives a negative number.

5. In what real-life situations is square-rooting used?

Square-rooting is used in various real-life situations such as calculating distances in navigation, determining the speed of an object, and finding the side lengths of shapes in construction and architecture.