What forces are acting on electron in a circuit?

In summary, the force acting on electrons in a circuit is the electrostatic attraction or repulsion between charged particles. The source of this force is the electrons themselves, which are created by a chemical reaction in the anode and absorbed in the cathode. When a resistance is added, the flow of electrons is reduced, similar to how molecules in a fluid act on each other. This demonstrates the incompressibility of the electrical "fluid."
Eugene567
What forces are acting on electron in a circuit?
What is the source of such kind of forces?
Do electrons act on each other in electric current?
If i have an ordinary electric circuit with only one resistor, then if i raise resistance, the electric current goes down. As I understand it happens because the vector E of elecric field inside the conductor goes down. The main question is how electric field (vector E) "feels" that i raised resistance? Well if I have a water flow in a tube i can imagine it. Assume some obstacle suddenly appears in a tube, then it stops the nearest moving molecules of water. This molecules of water stop molecules behind them, which then stops molecules behind them ...etc. And then all molecules are stopped. That's because molecules act on each other. It's like standing in a queue or walking in a crowd. If some man in front of me stops, then I will stop and the man behind of me will stop too. But what about electric current? Is it the same process? Do electrons act each other like molecules of water or like people in a crowd? If it's true that means electric field caused by electrons themself? I'm not only interested about how electric field distributed inside a conductor, I'm interested about the source of that field too.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sources of the field are the electrons themselves. What a battery does is to create electrons by a chemical reaction in the anode and absorb electrons in the cathode. If the two electrodes are connected by a wire, this will make the electrons go from the anode to the cathode, but if you put a resistance in between, this will stop the electrons and reduce the current.

Eugene567 said:
Do electrons act each other like molecules of water or like people in a crowd?
Yes. A cloud of free electrons (in a conductive substance that otherwise would have a net positive charge) behaves like an highly incompressible fluid.

If you managed to remove the electrons from a small space, leaving a positively charged void, the positive charge would attract the surrounding electons, filling the void.

If you compressed extra electrons into a small space, creating a negatively charged region, the excess electrons would be repelled, eliminating the concentration.

The electrostatic attraction or repulsion between charged particles is considerable. I once heard that moving one cubic centimeter's worth of electrons from a Saturn V rocket to the launch pad would produce enough electrostatic attraction to prevent the rocket from taking off. That may give some feel for the degree of incompressibility of the electrical "fluid".

Likes Eugene567

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits the nucleus of an atom.

2. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or pathway through which electricity flows, typically consisting of a power source, conductors, and components such as resistors and capacitors.

3. What forces act on an electron in a circuit?

The main forces acting on an electron in a circuit are electric and magnetic forces. The electric force is responsible for pushing the electron through the circuit, while the magnetic force can influence its direction of movement.

4. How do these forces affect the movement of electrons in a circuit?

The electric force causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal of a power source to the positive terminal, creating a current. The magnetic force can influence the direction of this flow, causing the electrons to move in a curved path.

5. Are there any other forces that affect electrons in a circuit?

In addition to electric and magnetic forces, there may also be other forces at play in a circuit, such as friction and resistance. These forces can affect the speed and efficiency of electron movement in a circuit.