What fraction of the air molecules

In summary, the question asks for the fraction of air molecules that must be pushed outside while the furnace raises the inside temperature from 17.0° C to 28.0° C. The correct answer is 3.7%, which can be calculated by subtracting the result of (n28C-n17C)/n17C from 100%. The question may require a specific answer format or significant digits, and it is suggested to consult with the professor for clarification if the answer is marked incorrect. Additionally, another Homework Helper has suggested a different interpretation of the question, which would result in a slightly different answer.
lalahelp

Homework Statement

What fraction of the air molecules in a house must be pushed outside while the furnace raises the inside temperature from 17.0° C to 28.0° C? The pressure does not change since the house is not 100% airtight.

Homework Equations

v2/v1=17+273/28+273
=.963

Why is my answer wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
You've calculated the fraction that's left inside rather than the fraction that was pushed outside.

is it .037?

lalahelp said:
is it .037?

Is that a guess or do you have a reason to back up that number?

its supposed to says 3.7 percent... I subtracted the 96.3 from 100

lalahelp said:
its supposed to says 3.7 percent... I subtracted the 96.3 from 100

Then that's okay. Looks good.

I put the answer but for some reason its still saying its incorrect?

lalahelp said:
I put the answer but for some reason its still saying its incorrect?

Is there a particular answer format that the question requires? Is it finicky about significant digits?

No and No... I am not sure why its doing this.

lalahelp said:
No and No... I am not sure why its doing this.

:confused: I don't know what else to suggest. I can't think of any other reasonable interpretation of 'fraction of the air molecules' that would lead to a different result.

yeh, Thank you for your help, I am going to email my proffessor about the question

Another Homework Helper* has suggested that it is perhaps possible that the question is looking for (n28C-n17C)/n28C ("what fraction of the gas was pushed out") instead of (n28C-n17C)/n17C ("what fraction of the gas will be pushed out"). It would make a small but noticeable difference in the result.

* Thanks D H!

Yes! that was correct Thank you D H!

1. What fraction of the air molecules are oxygen?

The fraction of air molecules that are oxygen is approximately 21%. This means that for every 100 air molecules, 21 of them are oxygen molecules.

2. What fraction of the air molecules are nitrogen?

The fraction of air molecules that are nitrogen is approximately 78%. This means that for every 100 air molecules, 78 of them are nitrogen molecules.

3. What fraction of the air molecules are other gases?

The fraction of air molecules that are other gases, such as carbon dioxide and argon, is approximately 1%. This means that for every 100 air molecules, 1 of them is another type of gas.

4. How does the fraction of air molecules vary at different altitudes?

The fraction of air molecules at different altitudes varies due to changes in atmospheric pressure. At higher altitudes, the air is less dense and therefore the fraction of air molecules is lower.

5. Can the fraction of air molecules be changed by human activity?

Yes, human activity can change the fraction of air molecules. For example, burning fossil fuels increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the air, which can affect the overall composition of air molecules.