1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What fraction of the distance do the block move?

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    A block slides a distance d down a frictionless plane and then comes to a stop after sliding a distance s across a rough horizontal plane, as shown in the accompanying figure.

What fraction of the distance s does the block slide before its speed is reduced to one-third of the maximum speed it had at the bottom of the ramp?

a) s/3
    b) 2s/3
    c) s/9
    d) 8s/9

Thanks for the help! :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2
    could you show what attempts you have made at solving the problem?

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    I thought that since it is reduced by 1/3 then it would be s/3. But I'm so confused because I know when something is reduced then you multiply to find the number.

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4
    Is that all of the information that they gave you? It seems like they would have given you some other information, such as the angle between the smooth and rough surface, and especially the friction coefficient for the rough surface (usually denoted by the symbol μ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook