What Gauge Wire Should I Use for a 1000ft+ Electricity Run to a Barn?

• Thread starter Eleventhstep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, Kevin is planning to add electricity to a barn located 1000ft away from his house. He will be using heavy duty poly casing for the wiring and is wondering what gauge wire to use for such a long run. He also asks if he should step up the voltage and then drop it back down at the barn. It is recommended to consult local building codes and potentially have the power company install a new transformer and meter for the barn's electricity needs.
Eleventhstep
Hello, my name is Kevin and I going to be adding electricity to a barn about 1000ft away from my house. The barn will act as a second home and will need to be using around 2-10KWh. I figure it will never exceed 10KW per hour. I will be running it underground in heavy duty poly casing. My question is what gauge wire should i be using for such a long run? Given the run distance and Wattage requirements should i step up the voltage and then drop it back down at the barn? I can use either 220 or 110 in the barn.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Eleventhstep said:
Hello, my name is Kevin and I going to be adding electricity to a barn about 1000ft away from my house. The barn will act as a second home and will need to be using around 2-10KWh. I figure it will never exceed 10KW per hour. I will be running it underground in heavy duty poly casing. My question is what gauge wire should i be using for such a long run? Given the run distance and Wattage requirements should i step up the voltage and then drop it back down at the barn? I can use either 220 or 110 in the barn.
Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

There are some obvious things that I have to ask. What type of location is this ranch in? Is it in a city (not likely), an unincorporated area in a county, or some other location? Most places have building codes that need to be followed for electrical work like this, and those codes will give you guidance on what you need to do to wire it safely. You also get the wiring job inspected and signed off on, so that when you sell the ranch, all the paperwork is in place.

Will your POCO come install a new feed & meter for the barn? If so, this would certainly be the best answer! If not, you should consult your local supply company where you will purchase the wire. Typically you can purchase "direct burial mobile-home wire" as cheaply as anything (no conduit). For a 1000' run you would certainly want to check with local codes, et al, because you are talking about a non-trivial investment in both materials and labor.

Obviously you would want to run 220, likely a 100A service (22kW) if you intend to have appliances, HVAC, etc.

Good Luck!

Fish

You are never going to be able to run wire this far on the secondary side of the transformer with the power you require. I would say contact the power company and get another transformer and meter installed.

Related to What Gauge Wire Should I Use for a 1000ft+ Electricity Run to a Barn?

1. How far can electricity travel?

Electricity can travel long distances, with modern technology allowing for power transmission over thousands of miles. However, it is important to note that the distance electricity can travel depends on the voltage and the type of conductor used.

2. What is the maximum distance for a 1000ft+ run of electricity?

The maximum distance for a 1000ft+ run of electricity depends on several factors, such as the voltage, the type and size of the conductor, and the load being supplied. Generally, a higher voltage and a larger conductor size will allow for longer distances.

3. How does the distance affect the efficiency of electricity transmission?

The longer the distance, the higher the resistance of the conductor, which results in energy loss in the form of heat. This means that the efficiency of electricity transmission decreases as the distance increases. To minimize energy loss, power companies use higher voltages for longer distance transmission lines.

4. What precautions should be taken for a 1000ft+ run of electricity?

When dealing with a 1000ft+ run of electricity, it is important to ensure that proper insulation is used to prevent energy loss and potential hazards. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection should be conducted to identify any potential issues and prevent accidents or outages.

5. Can electricity be transmitted without wires for a 1000ft+ run?

Currently, there is no technology that allows for electricity to be transmitted without the use of wires. However, research is being conducted on wireless power transmission, but it is still in its early stages and has limitations in terms of distance and efficiency.