1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to a coil of wire as current is increased?

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    3jFKimM.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    L = (N * F_b) / I (where F_b is the magnetic flux)
    emf = -L * (dI/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I originally thought that the inductance would decrease since it is inversely proportional to current. But, looking at the equation for emf, that would also mean that emf would decrease since L is decreasing and dI/dt is constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Your answer looks correct to me. The EMF is constant since the increase in I is linear. The inductance is a physical quantity, not affected by current (for an air core inductor). If the inductor had a ferrite or iron core, would that change your answer? :smile:

4. Apr 14, 2017 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the current increases, would anything else on the right side of the above equation change?

5. Apr 14, 2017 #4
    Oh, so the flux is increased by the increase in current which counters the current in the denominator?

And since inductance is a physical quantity, it can never be changed by the properties in a circuit?

6. Apr 14, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. If the current doubles, then the flux doubles. So, the formula would leave L unchanged.

Yes. The inductance is determined by the physical properties of the inductor (size, shape, number of wraps, type of core, etc.) as berkeman pointed out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted