What happens to a coil of wire as current is increased?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
alexdr5398
Messages
31
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


3jFKimM.jpg


Homework Equations


L = (N * F_b) / I (where F_b is the magnetic flux)
emf = -L * (dI/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution


I originally thought that the inductance would decrease since it is inversely proportional to current. But, looking at the equation for emf, that would also mean that emf would decrease since L is decreasing and dI/dt is constant.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alexdr5398 said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 194727

Homework Equations


L = (N * F_b) / I (where F_b is the magnetic flux)
emf = -L * (dI/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution


I originally thought that the inductance would decrease since it is inversely proportional to current. But, looking at the equation for emf, that would also mean that emf would decrease since L is decreasing and dI/dt is constant.
Your answer looks correct to me. The EMF is constant since the increase in I is linear. The inductance is a physical quantity, not affected by current (for an air core inductor). If the inductor had a ferrite or iron core, would that change your answer? :smile:
 
alexdr5398 said:
L = (N * F_b) / I (where F_b is the magnetic flux)

I originally thought that the inductance would decrease since it is inversely proportional to current.
If the current increases, would anything else on the right side of the above equation change?
 
berkeman said:
Your answer looks correct to me. The EMF is constant since the increase in I is linear. The inductance is a physical quantity, not affected by current (for an air core inductor). If the inductor had a ferrite or iron core, would that change your answer? :smile:

TSny said:
If the current increases, would anything else on the right side of the above equation change?

Oh, so the flux is increased by the increase in current which counters the current in the denominator?

And since inductance is a physical quantity, it can never be changed by the properties in a circuit?
 
alexdr5398 said:
Oh, so the flux is increased by the increase in current which counters the current in the denominator?
Yes. If the current doubles, then the flux doubles. So, the formula would leave L unchanged.

And since inductance is a physical quantity, it can never be changed by the properties in a circuit?
Yes. The inductance is determined by the physical properties of the inductor (size, shape, number of wraps, type of core, etc.) as berkeman pointed out.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: alexdr5398