What happens to the form basis after making the metric time orthogonal

In summary, the use of the same basis of forms to express both the spatial metric and the spacetime metric is justified by the linear transformation between the two metrics.
center o bass
Given a basis for spacetime ##\{e_0, \vec{e}_i\}## for which ##\vec{e}_0## is a timelike vector. Of these vectors one can make a new basis for which all vectors are orthogonal to ##\vec{e}_0##. I.e. the vectors $$\hat{\vec{e}}_i = \vec{e}_i - \frac{\vec{e}_i \cdot \vec{e}_0}{\vec{e}_0 \cdot \vec{e}_0} \vec{e}_0 =\vec{e}_i - \frac{g_{i 0}}{g_{00}} \vec{e}_0 $$

Now at page 35 in the following lecture notes: http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/fys/FYS4160/v06/undervisningsmateriale/kompendium.pdf

one use the basis ##\{\vec{e}_\hat{0}, \hat{e}_i\}## basis to define a "spatial metric" ##\gamma_{ij} = \hat{\vec{e}}_i \cdot \hat{\vec{e}}_j## for which it is trivial to show that

$$\gamma_{ij} = g_{ij} - \frac{g_{i0}g_{j0}}{g_{00}}$$ such that in this basis the spacetime metric becomes

$$ ds^2 = - d\hat{t}^2 + dl^2$$

where ##dl^2 = \gamma_{ij} dx^i dx^j## and ##\hat{\vec{e}}_0## is normalized. Note that ##\gamma_{i0} = \gamma_{00} = 0##. Now what the author does next is to express ##d \hat{t}^2## in terms of the arbitrary basis by

$$d \hat{t}^2 = dl^2 - ds^2 = (\gamma_{\mu \nu} - g_{\mu \nu})dx^\mu dx^\nu$$

and by plugging in the result above for ##\gamma_{ij}## he arrives at

$$d\hat{t}^2 = - g_{00}(dx^0 + \frac{g_{i0}}{g_{00}} dx^i)^2. $$

Here is my problem with this derivation: when writing
$$dl^2 - ds^2 = (\gamma_{\mu \nu} - g_{\mu \nu})dx^\mu dx^\nu$$
one is using the same forms ##dx^\mu## to express ##dl^2## for the spatial metric as one uses to express ##ds^2## (the not time-orthogonal metric). Is there a rationale behind doing this? I.e. can one use the same basis of forms for expressing the spatial metric as one does with the spacetime metric when using components defined by ##\vec{e}_i \cdot \vec{e}_j## and ##\hat{\vec{e}}_i \cdot \hat{\vec{e}}_j## respectively?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, one can use the same basis of forms for expressing both the spatial metric and the spacetime metric when using components defined by $\vec{e}_i \cdot \vec{e}_j$ and $\hat{\vec{e}}_i \cdot \hat{\vec{e}}_j$ respectively. This is because the two metrics are related by a linear transformation and thus the basis of forms used to express them can also be related by a linear transformation. Therefore, if the forms used to express the spacetime metric can be written in terms of the forms used to express the spatial metric, then the reverse is also true.

1. What is a form basis?

A form basis is a set of vectors that form a basis for a vector space. This means that any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. What does it mean to make the metric time orthogonal?

Making the metric time orthogonal refers to transforming the coordinate system in such a way that the time component is perpendicular to all other components. This is often done in physics to simplify calculations and better understand the relationship between space and time.

3. How does making the metric time orthogonal affect the form basis?

Making the metric time orthogonal can change the form basis by rotating or stretching the coordinate system. This results in a new set of basis vectors that may have different magnitudes and directions compared to the original form basis.

4. Why is it important to consider the form basis after making the metric time orthogonal?

It is important to consider the form basis after making the metric time orthogonal because it affects the way we measure and analyze physical phenomena. By understanding the relationship between the form basis and the transformed coordinate system, we can better interpret experimental data and make accurate predictions.

5. Can the form basis change after making the metric time orthogonal?

Yes, the form basis can change after making the metric time orthogonal. This is because the transformation of the coordinate system can alter the geometric properties of the space, resulting in a different set of basis vectors. However, the form basis can also remain unchanged depending on the specific transformation used.