Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens to the form basis after making the metric time orthogonal

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    Given a basis for spacetime ##\{e_0, \vec{e}_i\}## for which ##\vec{e}_0## is a timelike vector. Of these vectors one can make a new basis for which all vectors are orthogonal to ##\vec{e}_0##. I.e. the vectors $$\hat{\vec{e}}_i = \vec{e}_i - \frac{\vec{e}_i \cdot \vec{e}_0}{\vec{e}_0 \cdot \vec{e}_0} \vec{e}_0 =\vec{e}_i - \frac{g_{i 0}}{g_{00}} \vec{e}_0 $$

Now at page 35 in the following lecture notes: http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/fys/FYS4160/v06/undervisningsmateriale/kompendium.pdf

one use the basis ##\{\vec{e}_\hat{0}, \hat{e}_i\}## basis to define a "spatial metric" ##\gamma_{ij} = \hat{\vec{e}}_i \cdot \hat{\vec{e}}_j## for which it is trivial to show that

$$\gamma_{ij} = g_{ij} - \frac{g_{i0}g_{j0}}{g_{00}}$$ such that in this basis the spacetime metric becomes

$$ ds^2 = - d\hat{t}^2 + dl^2$$

where ##dl^2 = \gamma_{ij} dx^i dx^j## and ##\hat{\vec{e}}_0## is normalized. Note that ##\gamma_{i0} = \gamma_{00} = 0##. Now what the author does next is to express ##d \hat{t}^2## in terms of the arbitrary basis by

$$d \hat{t}^2 = dl^2 - ds^2 = (\gamma_{\mu \nu} - g_{\mu \nu})dx^\mu dx^\nu$$

and by plugging in the result above for ##\gamma_{ij}## he arrives at

$$d\hat{t}^2 = - g_{00}(dx^0 + \frac{g_{i0}}{g_{00}} dx^i)^2. $$

Here is my problem with this derivation: when writing
    $$dl^2 - ds^2 = (\gamma_{\mu \nu} - g_{\mu \nu})dx^\mu dx^\nu$$
    one is using the same forms ##dx^\mu## to express ##dl^2## for the spatial metric as one uses to express ##ds^2## (the not time-orthogonal metric). Is there a rationale behind doing this? I.e. can one use the same basis of forms for expressing the spatial metric as one does with the spacetime metric when using components defined by ##\vec{e}_i \cdot \vec{e}_j## and ##\hat{\vec{e}}_i \cdot \hat{\vec{e}}_j## respectively?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted