What happens when a particle enters an electric and magnetic field at an angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the path of an electron entering a magnetic and electric field created by two parallel plates at an angle, the effect of a uniform electric and magnetic field on a charged particle, and the calculation of the particle's trajectory and horizontal velocity.
phys02

Homework Statement

For my physics exam we might need to know what the path of an electron would look like if it entered a magnetic and electric field cause by two parallel plates at an angle. I think it should corkscrew but I'm not sure! Any help?

Also, in only an electric field...would the electron still act as it does when entering the field perpendicular to the E-field, when it enters at an angle?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi phys02! Welcome to PF! :smile:

A uniform electric field has the same effect on a charged particle as a uniform gravitational field … it accelerates it constantly in the fixed direction.

A uniform magnetic field, as you know, makes it spiral.

The two together will be a sort of increasingly floppy spiral. :biggrin:

thank you tiny-tim!

just one more thing.
so when if it entered an electric field at an angle it would simply accelerate towards the positive plate still? (fig.1)
fig1.jpg

And I'm not quite sure how such a spiral would look? Something like (fig.2)? Why?
fig2.jpg

[my drawings might be wrong i just made a guess at how it would look!)

if BvQ = EQ, then the trajectory would be straight, parallel to both plates.

If one of the forces is greater than the other, the trajectory would be parabolic, and the electrons would go towards that force.

phys02 said:
so when if it entered an electric field at an angle it would simply accelerate towards the positive plate still? (fig.1)

For zero magnetic field B, yes, it would be parabolic, as in a standard projectile trajectory.

For B non-zero, let's keep B and initial speed v constant, and just increase the electric field E.

For E = 0, the electron will just loop sideways.

As E moves away from 0 (in either direction), the loops will bend in a generally parabolic shape, and the loops will get larger as the speed gets larger.

When E is equal and opposite to Bqv, there will be no loops, and the electron will move in a straight line.

and when E is stronger than that … I'm too confused to figure it out … :redface:

so say alpha, on the top diagram, is 30 degrees, and their is no magnetic force. How would you work out the horizontal distance that the particle has traveled along the plate?

For B = 0, the "horizontal" velocity would be constant.

If you're asking about the "range", you calculate it exactly the same way as for a projectile (under gravity) at an initial angle of 45º and for the given "height". :smile:

so would the horizontal velocity be: ucos30 ?

by the way, I'm in the same class, we both have the same exam tomorrow!

jasper10 said:
so would the horizontal velocity be: ucos30 ?

You mean ucos45º ? Yes.

ok so vertically would these be the kinematic equations...

v = usin45 + at where a = F/m = EQ/m = VQ / dm where V is voltage, d is plate separation, m is mass of particle and q is charge of the particle

this would give: v = usin45 + VQt / dm ?

Yes.

1. What is the effect of an electric field on a particle entering at an angle?

The electric field will exert a force on the particle, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the electric field lines. The magnitude and direction of the force will depend on the charge of the particle and the strength and direction of the electric field.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a particle entering at an angle?

The magnetic field will also exert a force on the particle, but this force will be perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the magnetic field lines. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule, and the magnitude will depend on the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What happens when a particle enters both an electric and magnetic field at an angle?

When a particle enters both an electric and magnetic field at an angle, it will experience a combined force that is the vector sum of the individual electric and magnetic forces. The trajectory of the particle will be curved due to the presence of both fields, and the direction of the curvature will depend on the relative strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields.

4. Can a particle enter an electric and magnetic field at any angle?

Yes, a particle can enter an electric and magnetic field at any angle. The angle at which the particle enters will affect the magnitude and direction of the resulting force, and therefore the trajectory of the particle. However, the particle will always experience a combined force from both fields, regardless of the angle of entry.

5. How do electric and magnetic fields affect the speed of a particle entering at an angle?

Both electric and magnetic fields can change the speed of a particle entering at an angle. The electric field can accelerate or decelerate the particle, while the magnetic field can cause the particle to change direction and thus change its speed. The overall effect on the speed of the particle will depend on the strength and direction of both fields, as well as the initial speed and angle of entry of the particle.