What Happens When You Integrate the Square of the Delta Function Over All Space?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the energy of a signal represented by \delta(t) and its integral. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(t)dt = 1 and \int uv dt = u\int v dt - \int u^{'}(t)\int v dt dt, but the result is 0, which may not be the expected outcome. The person is seeking expert advice on whether the integral was done correctly or if there are other explanations for why it is 0.
bishshoy007

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \delta(t)^{2} [/tex] dt from -infinity to +infinty

Homework Equations

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\delta(t)dt = 1[/tex]

[tex]\int uv dt = u\int v dt - \int u^{'}(t)\int v dt dt[/tex]

[tex] \int^{b}_{a} f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a) [/tex]

[tex]\delta(-\infty) = \delta(\infty) = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int \delta(t) . \delta(t) dt = \delta(t)\int \delta(t) dt - \int \frac{d \delta(t)}{dt} . \int \delta(t) dt dt = \delta(t).1 - \int \frac{d \delta(t)}{dt}dt = \delta(t) - \delta(t) = 0 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of delta(x)^2 is not defined, it's infinite. Is that really the problem you were given?

Last edited:
Dick said:
The integral of delta(x)^2 is not defined, it's infinite. Is that really the problem you were given?

Thank you for replying.
[tex]\delta(t)[/tex] is an energy signal. I'm trying to find out the energy of the signal.
I wonder why the integral came out to be zero. I want some expert advice, whether I have done the integral correctly or not, or if there is some other explanations.

anybody please answer to my problem.
why the integral turns out to be zero.

Related to What Happens When You Integrate the Square of the Delta Function Over All Space?

1. What is "Integrate Impulse Squared"?

Integrate Impulse Squared is a software tool used for data analysis and visualization. It is designed to help scientists and researchers integrate their data from various sources and analyze it in a comprehensive and efficient manner.

2. How does "Integrate Impulse Squared" work?

The software uses advanced algorithms to merge and organize data sets from different sources. It also provides various tools for data manipulation, visualization, and statistical analysis, making it easier for scientists to draw insights from their data.

3. What are the key features of "Integrate Impulse Squared"?

Some of the key features of this software include data integration, data manipulation, data visualization, statistical analysis, and customizable dashboards. It also offers support for various data formats and has a user-friendly interface.

4. How can "Integrate Impulse Squared" benefit scientists?

This software can save scientists a significant amount of time and effort by automating the process of data integration and analysis. It also provides easy-to-use tools for data manipulation and visualization, allowing for better understanding and interpretation of complex data sets.

5. Is "Integrate Impulse Squared" suitable for all types of data?

Yes, this software is designed to handle a wide range of data types, including numerical, categorical, and textual data. It also offers flexibility for customization, making it suitable for various research fields and disciplines.