What Happens When Your Spaceship Is Longer Than the Universe?

In summary, special relativity states that when approaching the speed of light, observers see objects "shrink" in the direction of motion while the moving object sees other objects as shorter. In the context of a spaceship near Earth, if the spaceship reaches a high enough velocity, Earth observers will see it as very contracted while the spaceship sees Earth as shorter. It is theoretically impossible for the spaceship to measure itself as longer than the observable universe due to horizons in general relativity. This concept is further explained through the "barn-pole paradox" and the use of horizons in understanding the size limitations of objects moving at high velocities.
Idunno
So, as I understand special relativity, when you go close to the speed of light, observers see you "shrink" in the direction of motion, and you see objects as shorter than they were when you were in the same frame, according to L=Lo√1-v2/c2.

So suppose I am nearby Earth (in the same reference frame) and my spaceship measures 1 km long, and Earth observers agree. Then I get to a terrific velocity, so that Earth observers see me as very contracted in the direction of motion, and I see Earth as being actually shorter than my 1 km long spaceship in the direction of motion.

Well then, I suppose I can get to an even higher velocity, so that I measure my ship to be even longer than the milky way in the direction of motion.

Then finally, what happens if I get to such a terrific velocity that I measure my ship to be longer than the observable universe? What happens then? Is this possible? I suppose it is impossible from a practical sense, but does it contradict something in physics? Is it allowed to happen?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What does it mean for a spaceship to be longer than the universe?

This is a hypothetical scenario that is not possible in our current understanding of the universe. It refers to a spaceship being longer than the observable universe, which is approximately 93 billion light-years in diameter. This means that the spaceship would be longer than the distance light has traveled since the beginning of the universe, which is about 13.8 billion years.

2. How could a spaceship be longer than the universe?

As mentioned, this scenario is not possible in our current understanding of the universe. It would require the spaceship to have a length that exceeds the expansion rate of the universe, which is not feasible with our current technology.

3. Would a spaceship longer than the universe be able to travel to the edge of the universe?

No, the concept of an "edge" of the universe is a common misconception. The universe does not have an edge or a center, it is infinite and constantly expanding. Therefore, a spaceship could not reach the end of the universe, regardless of its length.

4. How would the laws of physics be affected by a spaceship longer than the universe?

It is difficult to say for certain as this is a hypothetical scenario. However, it is likely that the laws of physics as we know them would not apply to such a situation. The concept of length and distance would likely be different, and our understanding of gravity and space-time would need to be re-evaluated.

5. Could a spaceship longer than the universe travel faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of light is considered to be the universal speed limit. It is impossible for anything to exceed this speed, regardless of its size or length. Therefore, a spaceship longer than the universe would not be able to travel faster than the speed of light.