What height does the ant start seeing the tower?

• Thread starter pamparana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: However, he is having trouble seeing how this problem could be solved. He asks for help from someone who knows more about the subject.
pamparana
Hello everyone,

This is not exactly my homework question. I was looking at the assignments on MIT open courseware page for Single variable calculus and came across this one:

Problem statement
Quirk is a flat planet. On the planet Quirk, a cell phone tower is a 100-foot pole on top of a green mound 1000 feet tall whose outline is described by the parabolic equation y = 1000 − x2. An ant climbs up the mound starting from ground level (y = 0). At what height y does the ant begin to see the tower?

Homework Equations

I guess I will need the derivative at some point: f'(x) = -2x. So, it has a negative slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble visualizing the problem. So, the curve meets the y axes at height 1000 and the pole is another 100 feet, so I have a line from (0, 1100) which will meet the curve at some point P. I have to find this point P. Is that correct?

I guess I will need to find the slope of this line but I am having trouble seeing how this could connect to the slope of the tangent line to the parabola at point P.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

/Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
The coordinates of the point P will be (x,1000-x^2) for some x, right? Call Q the point at the top of the cell tower (0,1100). You want the line through PQ to be tangent to the parabola. The slope of the tangent is -2x. Set that equal to the slope you get from m=delta(y)/delta(x) using the points P and Q and solve for x.

Dick said:
You want the line through PQ to be tangent to the parabola.

Thanks for your reply Dick. This is the bit that I had completely missed that this line would be tangent to the parabola.

Many thanks,

Luca

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

2. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are important because they allow us to calculate the rate of change of a function, which is useful in many real-world applications such as physics, economics, and engineering. They also help us find maximum and minimum values of a function, which is crucial in optimization problems.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found by using the rules of differentiation, which include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

4. Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, while a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing. The magnitude of the derivative represents the steepness of the curve.

5. What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

A derivative is the rate of change of a function, while an antiderivative is the reverse process of differentiation, where we find a function whose derivative is the original function. In other words, a derivative represents the slope of a function, while an antiderivative represents the area under the curve of a function.