What if I filled my vehicle with helium

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of filling a car's body panels, trunk, and backseat area with helium or hydrogen to improve its 0-60 performance. However, it is determined that the weight savings from using helium or hydrogen would be negligible and may be offset by the added weight of the bladders. Additionally, the conversation briefly touches on the concept of using helium to fill a blimp and whether it would require less force to move in the air compared to on the ground. It is concluded that the air density decreases at higher altitudes, resulting in less drag, but the weight savings from filling a car or blimp with helium would still be minimal.
HellToupee
I'm no physicist but find it fascinating... so as a joke/problem I am trying to work out if filling my car's body panels, trunk, backseat area with helium or hydrogen would improve 0-60 performance and why. Assuming that I have hydrogen tight air bladders and neglecting weight distribution from front to back. Can anyone shed light?

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that the effect will be negligible. The cars mass will be about the same - you could make a bigger difference by removing the spare tire.

Your truck will be lighter and as a result will have less traction. I doubt that you could fit a significant amount of gas into the panels to make a big difference. Plus the bladders will add weight( offsetting the reduction from the gas) to the truck - you're probably thinking of something like helium balloons.

Last edited:
But you think there would be a positive (though negligable) improvement in acceleration due to the reduced mass or is that a falsehood?

HellToupee said:
But you think there would be a positive (though negligable) improvement in acceleration due to the reduced mass or is that a falsehood?

Adding any kind of bladders or something to keep the gas inside would probably offset any negligible gain in performance.

Compared to the mass of the truck, the amount of mass removed by using helium would be extremely small. You could do a rough calculation of how much the air weighs in the trunk and backseat area. Specific weight of air at 70F is about 0.075 lb/cuft.

Last edited:
On a related note,
does it take less force to move a 20 ton blimp that is in the air filled with hydrogen than it does to move it on the ground ignoring friction from contact with the ground?

HellToupee said:
I'm no physicist but find it fascinating... so as a joke/problem I am trying to work out if filling my car's body panels, trunk, backseat area with helium or hydrogen would improve 0-60 performance and why. Assuming that I have hydrogen tight air bladders and neglecting weight distribution from front to back. Can anyone shed light?

Helium?! You might talk funny!:rofl::devil:

HellToupee said:
On a related note,
does it take less force to move a 20 ton blimp that is in the air filled with hydrogen than it does to move it on the ground ignoring friction from contact with the ground?

Air density decreases as you go up, so there is less drag at higher altitudes.

Assuming your car has a volume of 10 m3, if you filled *the whole car with helium* instead of air, you would save:

At ambient pressure, air density is about rho_air = 1.3 kg/m3, helium density is about rho_He = 0.17 kg/m3

m_air = V*density = 10*1.3 = 13 kg;
m_He = 1.7 kg;

You would save only around 10 kg, for filling your whole car! Probably not worth it. Filling your tires will have a little more effect, since the gas is pressurized so the weight savings will be multiplied. Also the inertia of the tires may be decreased. Still, it will be negligible.

1. What would happen if I filled my vehicle with helium?

If you were able to completely fill your vehicle with helium, it would likely become too buoyant to stay on the ground and would float upwards. However, this is not a recommended practice as it could be dangerous and potentially cause damage to your vehicle.

2. Would my vehicle be able to fly if it was filled with helium?

Technically, yes, your vehicle could fly if it was filled with helium. However, it would not be a controlled flight and would likely result in your vehicle floating away without any way to steer or control it.

3. Can filling my vehicle with helium improve its fuel efficiency?

No, filling your vehicle with helium would not improve its fuel efficiency. It may actually have the opposite effect as helium is a less dense gas than regular air, which could negatively impact the vehicle's aerodynamics.

4. Would my vehicle be safe to drive if it was filled with helium?

No, it would not be safe to drive a vehicle filled with helium. The vehicle would likely be too light and unstable, making it difficult to control and increasing the risk of accidents.

5. Is it legal to drive a vehicle filled with helium?

No, it is not legal to drive a vehicle filled with helium. It could be considered a hazard on the road and may also violate laws regarding vehicle safety and proper use of helium gas.