1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if your GPA is a bit lower?

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1
    Just wondering what if your GPA is lower by .1 then the minimun required for a given university.

My cousin has 2.9 from a community college and is hesitating to sent out a transer application to a school that has minimum of 3.0

Appreciate any info,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2007 #2
    You can always try, of course many universities(all that I know of) charge you an application fee, so it's up to you. I think that these "minimum gpa's" have some wiggle room.

You must also take into account that the minimum gpa is ussually quite a bit below the competetive GPA. I am betting that they will accept his application, but his chances of getting in might be low. I personally think it is worth a shot though.

4. Jan 4, 2007 #3
    I agree with circles,

Alot say Min SAT scores and GPA, but students with alot lower still get in. They want money so if the major isn't flooded they will let you in usually. What you can do to improve your chances is....say your trying to get into a major such as Computer Engineering and they said the minimum GPA to get in is a 3.5, you can go into the school as undecided and you'll have a better chance of getting in.

Once your in then you work to get into Computer Engineering by taking the courses they do and scoring good.

5. Jan 4, 2007 #4
    Yea and on second reflection, 2.9 is not far at all from 3.0. So I think he should go for it. You might also want to phone the admissions board and inquire as to how strict they are with their minimum GPA limits. That way you ensure that you're not throwing money away or anything.

6. Jan 4, 2007 #5
    I think it would also depend on the school. Some schools would be more lenient for .1 gpa than others. I'd say go for it if your cousin is willing enough. it would be better to apply and be rjected than to not apply when you still had that chance of getting in

7. Jan 4, 2007 #6
    my friend, my GPA was 2.6 and I got accepted by a state school requires 3.0 GPA. You should try if you are not lacking money

8. Jan 4, 2007 #7
    Thanks for the info, I'm gonna kick his butt now.

9. Jan 4, 2007 #8
    ditto on calling the admissions board, I got into the University of Massachusettes by talking to the admissions people until they would accept my 1 semester of community college and GED score as enough information to accept me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?