What information can be found in the columns of the transition matrix?

In summary: The columns of the transition matrix give you the information you need to convert coordinates from one basis to another.
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

Let ##B_1 = {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\\ 1 \end{bmatrix}} ## and ##B_2 = {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\ 1 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\ -1 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ -1\\ 1 \end{bmatrix}}## be two bases for ##span(B_1)##, where the usual left to right ordering is assumed. Find the transition matrix ##P##B1##\to##B2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit flummoxed here. All the problems I've dealt with so far have had ##n## ##n \times 1## vectors and were solved by finding inverses. That cannot work here. What would be the first step in solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Anoobis said:

Homework Statement

Let ##B_1 = {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\\ 1 \end{bmatrix}} ## and ##B_2 = {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\ 1 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\\ -1 \end{bmatrix}}, {\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ -1\\ 1 \end{bmatrix}}## be two bases for ##span(B_1)##, where the usual left to right ordering is assumed. Find the transition matrix ##P##B1##\to##B2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit flummoxed here. All the problems I've dealt with so far have had ##n## ##n \times 1## vectors and were solved by finding inverses. That cannot work here. What would be the first step in solving this?

You could express one set of basis vectors in terms of the other basis.

Would you happen to know how to get formulas to display correctly on an android phone? I'm away from my pc for a spell and I can't see much this way.

The first step: know the relevant definitions and theorems

If you want to find the transition matrix, you have to know what information can be found within it. In general, a transition matrix gives you all the information you need to know to convert coordinates of a certain basis to coordinates relative to another basis. Denote the transition matrix from ##B_1## to ##B_2## with ##M##. Do you know what information you can find in the columns of ##M##?

What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a square matrix that represents the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another in a system. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, statistics, physics, and computer science to model and analyze various systems.

How is a transition matrix calculated?

A transition matrix is typically calculated by dividing the number of transitions from one state to another by the total number of transitions in a given system. This can be done manually or using software such as Excel or MATLAB.

What is the importance of a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is important because it allows us to predict the future behavior of a system based on its current state. It is also useful in identifying patterns and trends within a system, and can be used to optimize processes and make informed decisions.

What are some real-world applications of transition matrices?

Transition matrices have a wide range of applications, including analyzing financial markets, predicting changes in weather patterns, modeling population growth, and predicting the spread of diseases. They are also commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

How can I interpret the values in a transition matrix?

The values in a transition matrix represent the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another. Typically, the values in each row should add up to 1, as they represent all the possible outcomes from a given state. The higher the value, the higher the probability of transitioning to that state.