How Does the Feynman Propagator Define Particle Movement in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the Feynman propagator is the probability amplitude for a scalar particle of non-zero mass to travel over a space-time interval. It is obtained by integrating over all possible 3-momentums of the particle, and for a non-scalar particle, a polynomial dependent on its spin is also integrated. The Feynman propagator is also related to the step function and the propagator for a spin-1/2 particle. It is calculated by integrating a function over all possible 4-momentums, and it is used to determine the probability of a particle's position in space-time.
Definition/Summary

The Feynman propagator [itex]\Delta_F(x)[/itex] is the propagator (the probability amplitude) for a scalar particle of non-zero mass, [itex]m[/itex], to travel over a space-time interval [itex]x[/itex].

It is obtained by integrating, over all possible 3-momentums [itex]\mathbf{q}[/itex] of a particle of mass [itex]m[/itex], the function [itex]\Delta_+(x)[/itex] if [itex]x[/itex] is "forward in time" or the function [itex]\Delta_+(-x)[/itex] if [itex]x[/itex] is "backward in time".

This is the same as integrating, over all possible 4-momentums [itex]q[/itex] (of any mass, and including those with negative energy), the function [itex]e^{iq\cdot x}/(q^2\ +\ m^2\ -\ i\varepsilon)[/itex]

The propagator for a non-scalar particle is [itex]P(-i\frac{\partial}{\partial x})\Delta_F(x)[/itex] where P is a polynomial dependent on the spin of the particle.

Equations

DEFINITIONS:
[tex]x\text{ is a 4-vector: }x=(\mathbf{x},t)[/tex]

[tex]\Delta_+(x)\ =\ \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}\ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d^3\mathbf{q}\ \frac{e^{i(\mathbf{q}\cdot\mathbf{x}\ -\ \sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}\,t)}}{2\sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}}[/tex]

Step function:
[tex]\theta(t)\ =\ \frac{-1}{2\pi i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} ds\,\frac{e^{-ist}}{s\ +\ i\,\varepsilon}\ =\ 1\text{ if }t > 0\ \text{ but }=\ 0\text{ if }t < 0[/tex]

Feynman propagator:
[tex]\Delta_F(x)\ =\ i(\theta(x)\Delta_+(x)\ +\ \theta(-x)\Delta_+(-x))[/tex]

[tex]\ =\ i\Delta_+(x)\text{ if }t > 0\ \text{ but }=\ i\Delta_+(-x)\text{ if }t < 0[/tex]

[tex]=\ \frac{1}{(2\pi)^4}\ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\ d^4q\ e^{iq\cdot x}\ \left(\frac{1}{q^2\ +\ m^2\ -\ i\varepsilon}\right)[/tex]

Propagator for spin-1/2 particle:
[tex][(-i\gamma_{\mu}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}\ +\ m)\beta]\Delta_F(x)[/tex]

[tex]=\ \frac{1}{(2\pi)^4}\ \int\int\int\int\ d^4q\ e^{iq\cdot x}\ \left(\frac{[(-i\gamma_{\mu}q^{\mu}\ +\ m)\beta]}{q^2\ +\ m^2\ -\ i\varepsilon}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\ \frac{1}{(2\pi)^4}\ \int\int\int\int\ d^4q\ e^{iq\cdot x}\ \left(\frac{1}{\gamma_{\mu}q^{\mu}\ -\ m\ -\ i\varepsilon}\right)[/tex]

Extended explanation

Re-calculation of ∆+(-x):

[tex]\Delta_+(-x)\ =\ \frac{1}{(2\pi)^3}\ \int d^3\mathbf{q}\ \frac{e^{i(\mathbf{q}\cdot(\mathbf{-x})\ -\ \sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}\,(-t))}}{2\sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}}[/tex]

So, replacing [itex]\mathbf{q}[/itex] by [itex]-\mathbf{q}[/itex] and [itex]d^3\mathbf{q}[/itex] by [itex]-d^3\mathbf{q}[/itex]:

[tex]\Delta_+(-x)\ =\ \frac{-1}{(2\pi)^3}\ \int d^3\mathbf{q}\ \frac{e^{i(\mathbf{q}\cdot\mathbf{x}\ +\ \sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}\,t)}}{2\sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}}[/tex]

Calculation of the Feynman propagator:

[tex]\Delta_F(x)\ =\ i(\theta(x)\Delta_+(x)\ +\ \theta(-x)\Delta_+(-x))[/tex]

[tex]=\ \frac{-1}{(2\pi)^4}\ \int\ d^3\mathbf{q}\ \frac{e^{i\,\mathbf{q}\cdot\mathbf{x}}}{ 2\sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}}\ \left(\int ds\, \frac{e^{-i(\sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}\ +\ s)\,t}}{s\ +\ i\,\varepsilon}\ -\ \int ds\,\frac{e^{i(\sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}\ +\ s)\,t}}{s\ +\ i\,\varepsilon}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\ \frac{-1}{(2\pi)^4}\ \int\ d^3\mathbf{q}\ \frac{e^{i\,\mathbf{q}\cdot\mathbf{x}}}{ 2\sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}}\ \int dq_0\ \left(\frac{e^{-iq_0t}}{q_0\ - \sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}\ +\ i\varepsilon}\ \ +\ \ \frac{e^{-iq_0t}}{-q_0\ -\ \sqrt{\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2}\ +\ i\varepsilon}\right)[/tex]

where a new "energy" variable [itex]q_0[/itex] has been substituted for [itex]s+\sqrt{(\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2)}[/itex] in the left part, and for [itex]-s-\sqrt{(\mathbf{q}^2\ +\ m^2)}[/itex] in the right part

[tex]=\ \frac{1}{(2\pi)^4}\ \int\int\ d^3\mathbf{q}\ dq_0\ e^{i(\,\mathbf{q}\cdot\mathbf{x}\ -\ q_0t)}\ \left(\frac{1}{\mathbf{q}^2\ -\ q_0^2\ +\ m^2\ -\ i\varepsilon}\right)[/tex]

which, writing [itex]q[/itex] as the 4-vector [itex](\mathbf{q},q_0)[/itex], is:

[tex]=\ \frac{1}{(2\pi)^4}\ \int\ d^4q\ e^{iq\cdot x}\ \left(\frac{1}{q^2\ +\ m^2\ -\ i\varepsilon}\right)[/tex]

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the overview of Feynman Propagator

Related to How Does the Feynman Propagator Define Particle Movement in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is a Feynman propagator?

A Feynman propagator, also known as a Green's function, is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in space and time. It is named after physicist Richard Feynman.

2. How does a Feynman propagator work?

A Feynman propagator works by summing up all possible paths that a particle could take between two points in space and time. This includes both classical and quantum paths, which allows for the calculation of quantum mechanical amplitudes.

3. What is the significance of the Feynman propagator?

The Feynman propagator is a crucial tool in quantum field theory, as it allows for the calculation of scattering amplitudes and the prediction of particle interactions. It also provides a way to incorporate quantum mechanics into the equations of motion for particles.

4. How is the Feynman propagator represented mathematically?

The Feynman propagator is represented by a mathematical equation known as the Feynman path integral. This integral sums over all possible paths that a particle could take between two points, and is expressed in terms of the particle's action, which is a fundamental quantity in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some practical applications of the Feynman propagator?

The Feynman propagator is used in a wide range of fields, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing. It is essential for calculating scattering amplitudes in high energy particle collisions, predicting the behavior of electrons in materials, and simulating quantum systems on computers.