What is a Regular Transition Matrix

In summary, A transition matrix is regular if some integer power of it has all positive entries. An identity matrix is not regular, as any power of it is still the identity matrix and all entries off the main diagonal are 0, not positive. The rows of a regular matrix always add up to 1. To prove a transition matrix is not regular, it can be shown that no matter how many times it is multiplied by itself, the result will never contain all positive values.
ha9981
I have to learn a section from my textbook and I can't seem to undertand what a regular transition matrix is. The definition given is: A transition matrix is regular if some integer power of it has all positive entries. Now an identity matrix isn't regular, but I am pretty sure all integer powers of it have positive entries. I mean no transition matrix I have seen so far is negative except for (1-P) matrices.

P =

0.2 0.1 0.7
0.6 0.4 0.2
0.2 0.5 0.1

for this matrix, is it regular because all values in it are positive and so all integer powers of P will remain positive? Do I have to mention that all rows add up to 1, is that important in being a regular matrix?

also, how would u test to prove a transition matrix isn't regular?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, any power of the identity matrix does NOT have positive entries. Any power of the identity matrix is the identity matrix and all entries off the main diagonal are 0, not positive.

Are you confusing "positive" with "non-negative"? A "transition" matrix always has entries between 0 and 1 (and every column sums to 1) so any power of a transition matrix has non-negative entries. But not necessarily positive entries.

I might hav confused the idea. It said that a identity matrix alternates with powers. Is there somewhere I can learn this online as I am clearly having trouble understanding from my text.

The n by n identity matrix has the property that IA= AI= A for any n by n matrix A (that's the whole point of "identity"). In particular, taking A= I, I2= I(I)= I, I3= I(I2)= I(I)= I, etc.

I have no idea what you mean by "an identity matrix alternates with powers".

A transition matrix is regular if some integer power of it has all positive enteries. What does this mean. Can anyone give me examples of non regular as my text shows matrices with positive enteries and asks to show that it isn't regular, I don't see how that it is possible for that transition matrix to be non regular.

A matrix is called positive if all of it's entries are positive. A square matrix is called regular if some power of it is positive.

Example:

A =

3 1
2 2

B =

3 1
2 0

Matrix A is positive, Matrix B is not (as it contains 0). However B is regular, since:

B^2 =

11 3
6 2

is positive.

So to prove a matrix is NOT regular you need to show that no matter how many times you multiply a matrix by itself the result will never be positive (contain all positive values, 0 is not positive).

What is a Regular Transition Matrix?

A regular transition matrix is a square matrix that is used to represent a finite-state machine or Markov chain. It shows the probability of transitioning from one state to another in a system that follows a set of rules or probabilities.

How is a Regular Transition Matrix used in science?

Regular transition matrices are commonly used in various fields of science, such as biology, economics, and physics, to model and analyze complex systems. They are used to predict the behavior of a system over time, identify patterns and trends, and make informed decisions.

What are the elements of a Regular Transition Matrix?

A regular transition matrix is a square matrix with non-negative elements that represent the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another. The rows and columns correspond to the states in the system, and the sum of each row must equal one.

How is a Regular Transition Matrix different from a Markov Chain?

A regular transition matrix is used to represent a Markov chain, which is a mathematical model that describes the probabilistic behavior of a system. While a regular transition matrix shows the probabilities of transitioning between states, a Markov chain also considers the initial state and the number of steps taken in the system.

What are some real-world applications of Regular Transition Matrices?

Regular transition matrices have various real-world applications, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing the spread of diseases, and understanding animal behavior. They are also used in natural language processing, recommendation systems, and machine learning algorithms.