Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a tension force ?

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    What is a tension force ??? Where does it originate from ??????

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    Re: tension

Hi there,

It originates in your brain. The tension after a hard day can get quite painful. I sometimes have some tension in my shoulders and back. What about you??? I am kidding.

I believe you mean the tension in a corde. I might not get your question completely, but it originates from a pulling force on the corde. A tension is developed when two bodies tied to each are pulled apart.

Cheers

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3

Tension(in a rope or string most probably) is an electromagnetic force.....................................!
    Now u know how electromagnetic forces generate.......

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

can you expand a bit ! or else give me some link on the net to refer to , i was unable to find something on the origin of tension on the net :( .

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

I read it in my high school physics bible : Concepts of physics by HC Verma
    but i can't find too much on net based on it's origin.........

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6

Tension/tensile is the label given to the force that wants to pull things apart, or stretch them. It is the 'pulling' force.

Regarding the responce above, the electromagnetic force is NOT tension. The intermolecular force is what stops all the molecules flying apart when you apply tension.

The question where does it originate from doesn't acutally make sense in this context. Could you clarify what you mean by this?
    In the most basic sense, a force is the phenomenon that occurs when one body acts on another.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook