What is an electron lens diameter?

In summary: The distance between the sample and the electron beam is constantly changing and this creates a series of points on the sample that are illuminated. Each point on the sample is illuminated for a short time and the intensity of the electron beam at that point is measured. The difference in intensity between the points closest to the electron beam and the points farthest from the electron beam creates an image.
accountkiller
On a computer simulation (Simion - ion simulating program) I've got two cylinders (with a small gap between them) through which an electron beam goes through. I understand that the "lens" refers to the equipotential lines, since they form a bulge at each end, just like an optical lens. What does 'lens diameter' mean? The distance of the gap, or the distance from one end of the 'bulge' to the other end? That's the basic question I have - the rest is more details on the rest of my task if you want to help.

I need to re-construct a graph for work, it shows 'lens diameters' on the y axis, going from +2 to +10 above the x-axis, then again from +2 to +10 below the x-axis (what does that mean anyway, why both above and below?). Then it shows "V2 / V1" on the x-axis.. and the line above the x-axis looks like it's exponentially decreasing while the line below the x-axis looks like it's exponentially increasing.. the lines are labeled F1 and F2, for focal lengths. The top and bottom of the x-axis are mirror images.

So.. I can set which voltages I want, and I can figure out the focal length of the beam through the equation 1/P + 1/Q = 1/f.

What does it mean by 'lens diameter?' How do I measure that? And how can this be an x vs. y graph if there are three terms? The diameters, V2/V1 ratio, and the focal length lines. I'm confused on how you can have three of them on a two-part (x and y) graph.

Any help or guidance in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Note: I've only taken general physics I and II, so my knowledge isn't very extensive, just kind of got thrown into this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Electron lens diameter is the diameter of the electron lens. Electron microscope manufacturers have optimized the design of the electron lens to give the largest useful field of view. Most electron microscopes have a lens designed to give a useful field of view of between 20 and 200 micrometers. In the scanning electron microscope the sample is scanned over the electron beam in a raster pattern.

1. What is the purpose of an electron lens diameter?

The electron lens diameter refers to the size of the aperture or opening in an electron lens. It is used to control the size and focus of the electron beam, which is crucial in imaging and manipulation of nanoscale structures and materials.

2. How is the electron lens diameter measured?

The electron lens diameter is typically measured using a scanning electron microscope (SEM). The SEM uses a focused electron beam to scan the surface of a sample, and the resulting image can be used to determine the size of the electron lens diameter.

3. What factors affect the electron lens diameter?

The electron lens diameter can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric and magnetic fields within the lens, the type and design of the lens, and the energy of the electron beam. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. Can the electron lens diameter be adjusted?

Yes, the electron lens diameter can be adjusted by changing the voltage or current applied to the lens, altering the strength of the electric and magnetic fields. Some advanced electron lenses also have the capability to dynamically adjust the aperture size during imaging.

5. How does the electron lens diameter impact image resolution?

The electron lens diameter is a critical factor in determining the resolution of an electron microscope. A smaller diameter allows for a more focused and precise electron beam, resulting in higher resolution images. However, if the diameter is too small, it can also decrease the signal-to-noise ratio and affect image quality.