What is an equation for distance which relates the jerk and snap?

• Thread starter warfreak131
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jerk
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of "jerk" and "snap" in relation to the rate of change of acceleration and their respective units of measurement. The equation for distance is also mentioned and the question of whether there is a way to relate jerk and snap to it is posed. The attempt at a solution involves a rule where the coefficient before each variable is equal to \frac{1}{n!} where n is the power that t is raised to. The simplified equation including both snap and jerk is given. The conversation concludes with a brief explanation of jerk and snap being the third and fourth derivatives of displacement with respect to time.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

Well I was perusing Wikipedia on physics and came across the "jerk" of an object, the rate of change of acceleration, as well as the "snap", the rate of change of the jerk. The units for these were [tex]\frac{m}{s^3}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{m}{s^4}[/tex] respectively.

Is there some way to relate these to distance in the equation:

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] ?

Homework Equations

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The only good guess I have is that the coefficient before each variable is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] where [tex]n[/tex] is the power that [tex]t[/tex] is raised to.

So according to my rule, the equation including both snap and jerk would be:

[tex]d = \frac{1}{0!}xt^{0} + \frac{1}{1!}v_{i}t^{1} + \frac{1}{2!}at^2 + \frac{1}{3!}jt^3 + \frac{1}{4!}st^4[/tex]

simplifying to:

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 + \frac{1}{6}jt^3 + \frac{1}{24}st^4[/tex]

Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As much as I can say about it is

[tex]jerk= \frac{da}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{d^2x}{dt^2})= \frac{d^3x}{dt^3}[/tex]

though I've never learned about jerk and snap .

Your attempt at a solution is close, but not quite correct. The equation you have written does include the jerk and snap, but it does not directly relate them to distance. The equation you have written is essentially just a polynomial expansion of the original equation, with the addition of the jerk and snap terms.

To directly relate the jerk and snap to distance, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus. Since jerk is the rate of change of acceleration, we can integrate it to get the acceleration:

a = \int j dt

Similarly, we can integrate snap to get the jerk:

j = \int s dt

We can then substitute these expressions into the original equation for distance:

d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}\int a dt^2

Expanding the integral, we get:

d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2} \bigg( \frac{1}{2} \int j dt^3 + \frac{1}{6} \int s dt^4 \bigg)

Using the fundamental theorem of calculus again, we can integrate the jerk and snap to get:

d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{4}jt^4 + \frac{1}{24}st^5

This is the equation that directly relates distance to jerk and snap. Your attempt at a solution was on the right track, but it did not take into account the integration of the jerk and snap terms.

1. What is an equation for distance that relates jerk and snap?

An equation for distance that relates jerk and snap is given by: d = 1/6 * j * s^3, where d is the distance, j is the jerk, and s is the snap.

2. How do you calculate distance using jerk and snap?

To calculate distance using jerk and snap, use the equation d = 1/6 * j * s^3, where d is the distance, j is the jerk, and s is the snap. Plug in the values for j and s, and solve for d.

3. What is the relationship between jerk, snap, and distance?

Jerk, snap, and distance are all related through the equation d = 1/6 * j * s^3, where d is the distance, j is the jerk, and s is the snap. This means that as the jerk and snap increase, the distance also increases.

4. Can you use this equation for any type of motion?

Yes, this equation for distance relating jerk and snap can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion can be described by a constant jerk and snap. This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the distance traveled by an object.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

While this equation is a useful tool for calculating distance based on jerk and snap, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the motion is constant and does not take into account any external forces or factors that may affect the distance traveled. Additionally, this equation may not be accurate for highly complex or non-linear motion.