What is an equation for distance which relates the jerk and snap?

  • Thread starter Thread starter warfreak131
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jerk
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
warfreak131
Messages
186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Well I was perusing Wikipedia on physics and came across the "jerk" of an object, the rate of change of acceleration, as well as the "snap", the rate of change of the jerk. The units for these were [tex]\frac{m}{s^3}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{m}{s^4}[/tex] respectively.

Is there some way to relate these to distance in the equation:

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] ?

Homework Equations

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



The only good guess I have is that the coefficient before each variable is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] where [tex]n[/tex] is the power that [tex]t[/tex] is raised to.

So according to my rule, the equation including both snap and jerk would be:

[tex]d = \frac{1}{0!}xt^{0} + \frac{1}{1!}v_{i}t^{1} + \frac{1}{2!}at^2 + \frac{1}{3!}jt^3 + \frac{1}{4!}st^4[/tex]

simplifying to:

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 + \frac{1}{6}jt^3 + \frac{1}{24}st^4[/tex]

Am I right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As much as I can say about it is

[tex]jerk= \frac{da}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{d^2x}{dt^2})= \frac{d^3x}{dt^3}[/tex]


though I've never learned about jerk and snap .