1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is an equation for distance which relates the jerk and snap?

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Well I was perusing Wikipedia on physics and came across the "jerk" of an object, the rate of change of acceleration, as well as the "snap", the rate of change of the jerk. The units for these were [tex]\frac{m}{s^3}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{m}{s^4}[/tex] respectively.

Is there some way to relate these to distance in the equation:

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] ?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The only good guess I have is that the coefficient before each variable is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{n!}[/tex] where [tex]n[/tex] is the power that [tex]t[/tex] is raised to.

So according to my rule, the equation including both snap and jerk would be:

[tex]d = \frac{1}{0!}xt^{0} + \frac{1}{1!}v_{i}t^{1} + \frac{1}{2!}at^2 + \frac{1}{3!}jt^3 + \frac{1}{4!}st^4[/tex]

simplifying to:

[tex]d = x + v_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 + \frac{1}{6}jt^3 + \frac{1}{24}st^4[/tex]

Am I right?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

As much as I can say about it is

[tex]jerk= \frac{da}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{d^2x}{dt^2})= \frac{d^3x}{dt^3}[/tex]

though I've never learned about jerk and snap .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook