Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is better to do when electricity goes out?

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1
    hello,

I always argue with people when electricity goes out. They want to open the windows to refreash the air in the house and I want to keep them cloased to keep the cold air for as long as possible. I know that after sometime the air will warm up .. but I at least I can keep the room cold for some time!
    The same thing happen when bad smells enter the house.. is it good to open the windows to refreash the air or to close them to stop more smells to come in?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bad smells... ? Where do you live?

4. Jul 31, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It really should be obvious that keeping the cold air in as long as possible is what you want to do: keep the windows closed until the inside temp is greater than outside.

With bad smells, keep them out as long as possible by keeping the windows closed, but when it starts to dissipate outside, open the windows to flush out the house.

5. Jul 31, 2009 #4
    what I mean by smells is like Red tide ( a common name for a phenomenon in which estuarine, marine, or fresh water algae accumulate rapidly in the water column and produce bad smells)

6. Jul 31, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know where you live, but I'd definitely keep the windows closed to keep the heat in. It's either that or crank the furnace up enough for the gas bill to put me in debt.

7. Jul 31, 2009 #6
    In my house we open the windows to let the bad smells out.
    :biggrin:

8. Jul 31, 2009 #7

negitron

Science Advisor

Whatever the case, it should be obvious that if it's more comfortable indoors, you leave the windows closed; if it's ore comfortable outdoors, you leave them open.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook