What is better to do when electricity goes out?

• Thread starter blossom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of whether to keep the windows closed or open in order to maintain the desired temperature and prevent bad smells from entering the house. The speaker argues for keeping the windows closed as long as possible to retain the cold air, but also acknowledges the need to open them when the outside temperature becomes more comfortable. Ultimately, it is important to prioritize personal comfort over the need to save money or eliminate bad smells.
blossom
hello,

I always argue with people when electricity goes out. They want to open the windows to refreash the air in the house and I want to keep them cloased to keep the cold air for as long as possible. I know that after sometime the air will warm up .. but I at least I can keep the room cold for some time!
The same thing happen when bad smells enter the house.. is it good to open the windows to refreash the air or to close them to stop more smells to come in?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bad smells... ? Where do you live?

It really should be obvious that keeping the cold air in as long as possible is what you want to do: keep the windows closed until the inside temp is greater than outside.

With bad smells, keep them out as long as possible by keeping the windows closed, but when it starts to dissipate outside, open the windows to flush out the house.

what I mean by smells is like Red tide ( a common name for a phenomenon in which estuarine, marine, or fresh water algae accumulate rapidly in the water column and produce bad smells)

I don't know where you live, but I'd definitely keep the windows closed to keep the heat in. It's either that or crank the furnace up enough for the gas bill to put me in debt.

In my house we open the windows to let the bad smells out.
:biggrin:

Whatever the case, it should be obvious that if it's more comfortable indoors, you leave the windows closed; if it's ore comfortable outdoors, you leave them open.

1. What should I do first when the electricity goes out?

When the electricity goes out, the first thing you should do is check if the power outage is limited to your home or if it is a widespread outage in your area. You can do this by checking your circuit breaker or by contacting your local power company.

2. Is it safe to use candles during a power outage?

It is not recommended to use candles during a power outage as they pose a fire hazard. Instead, use battery-powered flashlights or lanterns for lighting.

3. How long will the food in my refrigerator last during a power outage?

The food in your refrigerator will typically last for about 4 hours during a power outage. However, this time can be extended by keeping the refrigerator door closed and avoiding opening it frequently.

4. Can I still use my gas stove during a power outage?

Yes, you can still use your gas stove during a power outage as long as it is lit with a match or lighter. However, be cautious as gas stoves can still pose a fire hazard.

5. What should I do with my electronics during a power outage?

It is recommended to turn off and unplug all electronics during a power outage to protect them from power surges when the electricity comes back on. This also helps conserve power for essential devices such as phones and laptops.