What is the Definition of the Delta Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Dirac delta function and its connection to Heaviside step function. The Dirac delta function is a way to model an instantaneous surge in a distribution, and it is often used in physics to represent momentum. It is not commonly taught at a young age, but it can be understood through the use of functional analysis.
Leo Liu
TL;DR Summary
See the title please.
I came across it in the derivation of Gauss' law of electric flux from Coulomb's law. I did some research on it, but the wikipedia page about it was slightly confusing. All I know about it is that it models an instantaneous surge by a distribution. However I am still perplexed by this concept. Can someone please explain it to me like I am a 5-year-old with some calculus or direct me to some useful resources other than wiki?

Last edited:
Likes NTuft
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are multiple approaches to delta function. Here I would start from
Heaviside Step Funiiton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_step_function
We can not differentiate Heaviside Step Function at 0 in usual healthy sense. But Dirac boldly invented a strange delta "function" as the result of its derivative including x=0.
[tex]H'(x)=\delta(x)[/tex]

Say we give 1 Ns impulse to a 1kg body to make it move with 1m/s.
There are many ways to do it, e.g.
Applying Force 1 N during 1 second,
Force 10N during 1/10 second,
Force 100N during 1/100second,
-----
Force 1/x N during x second,
------

We can make time duration x as small as we like with increasing Force 1/x .

There is no limit of x to zero in this sequence because 1/x diverges to infinity. But Dirac say there exists force limit ##\delta(x)##, that is to say, in a instant of time, the infinite force is applied to generate 1 Ns momentum on the body. Delta function is a momentum maker in a instant of time.
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^x \delta(\xi) d\xi = H(x)[/tex]
Heaviside step function shows thus made momentum by Delta function at x=0.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes NTuft, DaveE, atyy and 1 other person
Leo Liu said:
Summary:: See the title please.

Can someone please explain it to me like I am a 5-year-old ...
The Dirac delta function is rarely taught at infant school. Especially these days.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and atyy
PeroK said:
The Dirac delta function is rarely taught at infant school. Especially these days.
What's the world coming to these days ?! :wink: A B C Dd !

Likes atyy and PeroK
anuttarasammyak said:
There are multiple approaches to delta function. Here I would start from
Heaviside Step Funiiton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_step_function
Thank you. This concept isn't hard to grasp at all. I will look into its connection with Dirac delta.

##\delta##-function is a linear continuous functional on the space of ##C^\infty(\mathbb{R})##-functions with compact support. By definition ##\delta(\varphi)=\varphi(0)##.
The formulas like ##H'=\delta## are understood in the generalized sense
$$-\int_{\mathbb{R}}H(x)\varphi'(x)dx=\varphi(0)$$
For details see any textbook on functional analysis. For example https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783540586548

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes NTuft, atyy and Leo Liu

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function that is used to model the behavior of point masses in physics and engineering. It is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite, and its integral over the entire real line is equal to one.

2. How is the Dirac delta function different from a regular function?

The Dirac delta function is different from a regular function in that it is not defined at all points on the real line, but only at the origin. It also has the unique property of being infinite at the origin, while being zero everywhere else. This makes it a distribution rather than a traditional function.

3. What are some applications of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function has many applications in physics and engineering, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and control theory. It is used to model point masses, represent impulse forces, and describe the behavior of systems with discontinuities.

4. How is the Dirac delta function related to the Kronecker delta?

The Dirac delta function and the Kronecker delta are related in that they both represent a single point or event. However, the Kronecker delta is discrete and only takes on the values of 0 or 1, while the Dirac delta function is continuous and can take on any real value.

5. Can the Dirac delta function be integrated?

Yes, the Dirac delta function can be integrated over any interval that contains the origin. Its integral over the entire real line is equal to one, and its integral over any other interval is equal to the value of the function at the origin. This property is known as the sifting property of the Dirac delta function.