What is force potential and how does it relate to Bernoulli's Equation?

In summary, force potential is a measure of the work a force can do and is calculated by multiplying the force by the distance over which it is applied. It is a concept related to potential energy and can be explained using basic calculus principles.
sarvesh0303

Homework Statement

I was reading up on the Bernoulli's incompressible flow equation on wikipedia when I came across a thing called force potential(ψ). Could anyone explain what is it ? Is there an equation for finding the force potential at a point?? I would like to know the equation.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

PS: If it is a calculus concept, please explain it in a simple manner as I am a beginner in calculus and I just started learning Indefinite Integration 2-3 months ago. If it cannot be explained without advanced calculus, then please inform me. :)
Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Force potential is a measure of the ability of a force to do work. It is equal to the force times the distance through which it is applied. W = F x d Potential energy is the energy of position. It is the energy of something due to its position in the universe.

FAQ: What is force potential and how does it relate to Bernoulli's Equation?

1. What is force potential?

Force potential is a term used in physics to describe the amount of energy that is stored in an object due to its position in a force field. It is a measure of the potential for that object to exert a force on another object.

2. How is force potential different from force?

Force is a measure of the strength of a push or pull on an object, while force potential is a measure of the stored energy that could potentially be used to exert a force. Force potential is a potential energy, while force is an actual energy being applied.

3. Can force potential be negative?

Yes, force potential can be negative. This occurs when an object is in a region of a force field where the potential energy decreases as the object moves away from a certain point. In this case, the object will experience a force pulling it towards that point.

4. Are there different types of force potential?

Yes, there are different types of force potential, depending on the type of force field. For example, in a gravitational force field, the force potential is known as gravitational potential energy. In an electric force field, the force potential is known as electric potential energy.

5. How is force potential calculated?

Force potential is calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height of the object in the force field. This equation can be modified for different types of force fields, such as electric or magnetic fields.

Back