What is going on, type post, edit, overwrite my text sometimes

In summary, the Insert button on a computer keyboard can cause issues with editing in forums. It can overwrite previously written text or add extra text, making editing more difficult. Pressing the Insert button twice can toggle the cursor back to insert mode and solve the problem.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Sometimes when I type and edit a post my editing actually overwrites what I have written and other times text is not overwritten but adds extra text. The first case makes editing harder. Is this something I have control over? I apologize if I have not made myself clear. Does it have something to do with the forums software saving my text?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Sometimes when I type and edit a post my editing actually overwrites what I have written and other times text is not overwritten but adds extra text. The first case makes editing harder. Is this something I have control over? I apologize if I have not made myself clear. Does it have something to do with the forums software saving my text?
The Insert button on a computer keyboard has this effect. For me editing in these forums, the cursor normally appears as a thin vertical line to the left of where the next character will appear. If I press Insert and move the cursor into previously input text, it turns into a reverse-video block marking the character that will be replaced.

Press Insert a second time to toggle back to insert mode and the vertical bar cursor.

Likes berkeman, sysprog and Spinnor
I am have my editing problem right now and will try that, thank you.

That seems to do it.

Last edited:

1. What is going on?

This is a broad question and can have many different answers depending on the context. It could refer to a specific situation, event, or even a general inquiry about the state of the world. To provide a specific answer, more information would be needed.

2. Type post, edit, overwrite my text sometimes

This question appears to be related to computer or internet use, specifically with typing and editing text. It is likely asking for assistance with a specific issue or task. To answer, more information about the specific problem would be needed.

3. What do you mean by "edit" or "overwrite" text?

This question is seeking clarification on the terms "edit" and "overwrite" and how they relate to text. Editing typically refers to making changes to existing text, while overwriting means replacing existing text with new content. These terms may have different meanings in different contexts, so further explanation may be needed to fully answer this question.

4. Can you provide an example of what you mean by "overwrite"?

As mentioned in the previous answer, overwriting means replacing existing text with new content. An example of this would be typing over a sentence in a document or email, erasing the original text and replacing it with new text. This can also happen unintentionally, such as when copying and pasting text in the wrong place.

5. How can I prevent my text from being overwritten?

To prevent text from being overwritten, you can use various tools such as the "undo" function to revert back to a previous version of your text. You can also save your work regularly to avoid losing any changes. Additionally, being mindful of where you are typing and double-checking before making changes can help prevent unintentional overwriting.