What Is This Mysterious Object?

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary: It looks like a jet engine intake.Air intakes for jet engines are typically very straight and tall, in order to maximize the airflow into the engine.
Townsend said:
Ok, then it's bird droppings...

What kind of pier has white railing? :confused:

Can I just guess that it's a pier in general?
It's not a pier, but your back on the right side of the water again. :biggrin:

Looking at the original photo, I'm not sure if it's rust or bird droppings...could be either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
It's not a pier, but your back on the right side of the water again. :biggrin:

Looking at the original photo, I'm not sure if it's rust or bird droppings...could be either.

The only way it could be rust is if there is steel...so by you saying that it could be rust means that it must be steel...

Now I really don't know...I was thinking if it is bird droppings then it must be up somewhere high where birds would use it. So I decided it might be railing along some part of some old Victorian style house but then it would certainly not be made of steel...

I don't know...any hints?

Townsend said:
The only way it could be rust is if there is steel...so by you saying that it could be rust means that it must be steel...

Now I really don't know...I was thinking if it is bird droppings then it must be up somewhere high where birds would use it. So I decided it might be railing along some part of some old Victorian style house but then it would certainly not be made of steel...

I don't know...any hints?

Well, so far, you have that it's railing on something (I'm looking for what that something is) and that it's in the general vicinity/category of ships or docks, but not actually either. Hmm...I think I can also give you that you're right that it's up high...somewhat so anyway. I really don't recall and can't tell from the picture what material the part I'm showing is made of, so that's why I can't be sure if it's rust or bird droppings. It's not necessarily steel, but could be some other painted metal, and it is in a place where birds would be.

A lighthouse perhaps?

Townsend said:
A lighthouse perhaps?
Yep! Yay! Here's the full picture I took it from.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/576/lighthouse8dx.jpg

Your turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Just jumping in - If anyone was wondering, mine was John Everett Millais' http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=688 . Glad this thread is back; I was about to revive the other one - jumping out now - :smile:

ok...I hope this is not too hard but not too easy either...

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/4301/10026302ww.jpg

It's definitely an eye, but I can't tell on what. Maybe a fish? (If I'm right, someone else can take my turn, I'm going to sleep.)

Moonbear said:
It's definitely an eye, but I can't tell on what. Maybe a fish? (If I'm right, someone else can take my turn, I'm going to sleep.)

you're lukewarm...

tadpole eye?

honestrosewater said:
tadpole eye?

getting colder

squid eye?

gerben said:
squid eye?

You're on ice bro...it has to do with fish an it is an eye...

Townsend said:
You're on ice bro...it has to do with fish an it is an eye...
Ooh, is it fish bait??

honestrosewater said:
Ooh, is it fish bait??

What exactly do you mean by "fish bait?"

Townsend said:
What exactly do you mean by "fish bait?"
The correct answer, of course. :tongue2:

Those rubbery fake little fish for catching bigger fish. Maybe I should bone up on my fishing equipment...

Kind of like these: http://superiortohudson.com/Images/gallery/Fishing/Tackle%20Box%202.htm

honestrosewater said:
The correct answer, of course. :tongue2:

Those rubbery fake little fish for catching bigger fish. Maybe I should bone up on my fishing equipment...

Kind of like these: http://superiortohudson.com/Images/gallery/Fishing/Tackle%20Box%202.htm

Yes...you're right... :smile: I guess it was a bit too easy.

Townsend said:
Yes...you're right... :smile: I guess it was a bit too easy.
Right, it must have been easy if even I could guess it...
:mad: I hope I can muster the brain power to think of the next clue.

honestrosewater said:
Right, it must have been easy if even I could guess it...
:mad: I hope I can muster the brain power to think of the next clue.

NOOOO...that's not what I mean at all...I mean you figured it out too fast...sorry for implying something else..

... what ARE you two going off about? This, the lyric thing, what the hell are you two conspiring about?

Townsend said:
NOOOO...that's not what I mean at all...I mean you figured it out too fast...sorry for implying something else..
Oh, I'm sorry - I was only joking. I guess I left off the joking smiley. :wink: :biggrin:

... hello?

Smurf said:
... what ARE you two going off about? This, the lyric thing, what the hell are you two conspiring about?
Welcome to the Jungle... Guns 'N Roses...

That's in another thread, BTW. :confused: :tongue2:

Yeah, I recognized it. But what are you DOING?

Smurf said:
DOING?

I have no idea what your on about...I'm married anyways o:)

Townsend said:
I have no idea what your on about...I'm married anyways o:)
:grumpy: Shut up and commentate on my democracy already!

Smurf said:
:grumpy: Shut up and commentate on my democracy already!
:rofl: :rofl:

It sooo much work though...I finished my summer classes and now that I don't have to find something to do just so I can put off studying I pretty much just want to be goofy...but it's not like the thread will disappear or anything. I can always find it and I promise that soon enough I will... :smile:

What I need is a cure for laziness...for that I would pay at least...scratches head, well at least 10K USD...probably more...

Why don't you try tackling little bits at a time. Start with the specific legistlation since that's most straightforward, then you can get into the constitution that you'll probably need to do research for next time you get a big assignment.

Well, I can't think of a clue, so someone can have my turn.

I would if you TOLD ME HOW TO PLAY!

Smurf said:
I would if you TOLD ME HOW TO PLAY!
You post a picture of something, and people try to guess what it is. Check out the beginning of the thread for examples.

arn't you asleep?

Smurf said:
arn't you asleep?

Of course she is...she is obviously sleep posting...

Hooray, I forgot about this game!

This one shouldn't take too long. No random guessing boys and girls!

http://personalpages.umist.ac.uk/student/E.Smith-2/2973.jpg

Venus?

Limit

Last edited: