What is meant by no gas enters or leaves the cylinder ?

In summary, the question involves a platform supported by compressed air in a cylinder and the effects of removing weight from the platform. The pressure supply is closed, meaning no gas enters or leaves the cylinder. The entire system is at room temperature. The height of the platform and the maximum velocity after weight is removed are being asked for.
hahaha158
What is meant by "no gas enters or leaves the cylinder"?

I have the following question.

A platform is supported on a piston by compressed air in a cylinder.
The mass of the platform and equipment being lifted is 1100kg. The pressure needed to
support this mass is 800kPa, and it rests initially at a height of 0.5m. The pressure supply
is closed so that no gas enters or leaves the cylinder
. One of the pieces of equipment with a mass of 50kg is moved o the platform. The entire system is at room temperature (300K)

I am confused with the significance of the bolded line. I'm not sure whether it's implying constant volume, constant pressure, temperature, etc. Can someone explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org

hahaha158 said:
I have the following question.

The mass of the platform and equipment being lifted is 1100kg. The pressure needed to
support this mass is 800kPa, and it rests initially at a height of 0.5m. The pressure supply
is closed so that no gas enters or leaves the cylinder
. One of the pieces of equipment with a mass of 50kg is moved o the platform. The entire system is at room temperature (300K)

I am confused with the significance of the bolded line. I'm not sure whether it's implying constant volume, constant pressure, temperature, etc. Can someone explain this?

P*V=n*R*T

from question; P don't change, and there is a finite amount of gas in chamber (i.e. n don't change)

so P don't change, n don't change (and R is a const. so it don't change), then what else could change (hint. if T change, then V change)

Ned Stark said:
P*V=n*R*T

from question; P don't change, and there is a finite amount of gas in chamber (i.e. n don't change)

so P don't change, n don't change (and R is a const. so it don't change), then what else could change (hint. if T change, then V change)

Would the area change in this case? Because I need the area to find the volume, and according to my calculations it seems like it should, but it also seems a bit weird for the area of a platform to change

hahaha158 said:
Would the area change in this case? Because I need the area to find the volume, and according to my calculations it seems like it should, but it also seems a bit weird for the area of a platform to change

No, the area of the piston does not change. But the piston can move up or down. Some weight is removed from the platform: that means the external force decreases. To get into equilibrium at the same temperature (300 K) what parameter of the gas has to change?
Initially the internal and external forces acting on the piston are in equilibrium: The weight of the 1100 kg load is balanced by he force the gas exerts when its pressure is 800 kPa. So what is the area of the piston?

ehild

Last edited:

ehild said:
No the area of the piston does not change. But the piston can move up or down.

ehild

sorry the question is

what is the new position of the platform?

so i was referring to the area of the platform, not the piston.

The platform is supported on the piston. What does it mean?

ehild

ehild said:
The platform is supported on the piston. What does it mean?

ehild

If the area is unchanging can we simplify the equation PV=nRT become

h=T since everything else is a constant or unchanging?

How would this relate to the mass though?

edit:i meant h=t when comparting the two heights so for this case

0.5m/300K = height2/T2?

The temperature does not change. The pressure does.

ehild

ehild said:
The temperature does not change. The pressure does.

ehild

Oh so according to the equation PV = nRT the only variables that change are P and V (since h changes)?

I'm a bit confused because I thought the above poster told me that pressure remains constant.

hahaha158 said:
Oh so according to the equation PV = nRT the only variables that change are P and V (since h changes)?
Yes.
hahaha158 said:
I'm a bit confused because I thought the above poster told me that pressure remains constant.

He was mistaken.

Think. What does it mean that some of the load is removed?

ehild

ehild said:
Yes.He was mistaken.

Think. What does it mean that some of the load is removed?

ehild

If the load is removed then the height will increase.

So iare there any errors in the following solution?

find area using Pi=mig/A
A*h=Vi

find Pf using Pf = mfg/A

PiVi = PfA*h to solve for the unknown height?

thanks.

It is correct if the whole thing is in vacuum. Otherwise the 800 kPa is the gauge pressure, and the absolute pressure of the gas is 800 kPa +atmospheric pressure. As it was not mentioned, I think your solution is correct. ehild

ehild said:
It is correct if the whole thing is in vacuum. Otherwise the 800 kPa is the gauge pressure, and the absolute pressure of the gas is 800 kPa +atmospheric pressure. As it was not mentioned, I think your solution is correct.

ehild

ok thanks a lot for the help

You are welcome.

ehild

ehild said:
You are welcome.

ehild

sorry.

just one last question

the question asks for the maximum velocity

according to W=PdV
W should remain constant

and then using W=.5mv^2

wouldn't that mean you use mf since m is inversely proportional to v and m is smalest at mf?

Write the original question, please.

ehild

ehild said:
Write the original question, please.

ehild

is closed so that no gas enters or leaves the cylinder. One of the pieces of equipment with a mass of 50kg is moved o the platform. The entire system is at room temperature (300K)

A)what is the height of the platform after the weight is removed?
B)what is the maximum velocity?

The gas exerts force and does work on the platform. That work increases both the potential and kinetic energy. The kinetic energy is maximum at the equilibrium height you calculated before, when the resultant force on the platform is zero, that is, the acceleration is zero. The platform will rise above the equilibrium height till the velocity becomes zero; after that, it moves backwards (ignoring friction).

ehild

1. What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional geometric shape that has two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It can also refer to a container with a cylindrical shape.

2. What is meant by "no gas enters or leaves the cylinder"?

This means that there is no exchange of gas between the inside and outside of the cylinder. The amount of gas inside the cylinder remains constant.

3. Why is it important for no gas to enter or leave the cylinder?

It is important because it allows for controlled experiments in which the amount of gas inside the cylinder can be measured and manipulated without any external factors affecting the results.

4. How is it possible for no gas to enter or leave the cylinder?

This can be achieved by ensuring that the cylinder is completely sealed and airtight. Additionally, the valve or opening of the cylinder must be closed to prevent any gas from escaping or entering.

5. What are some examples of experiments where no gas enters or leaves the cylinder?

Some examples include Boyle's Law experiments, where the volume of a gas is changed while keeping the amount of gas and temperature constant, and chemical reactions that occur in a sealed container.