What is Not a Set of Conjugates?

• Thread starter TT0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, conjugates are defined as an acid and its conjugate base, which differ by exactly one proton. In the given options, only E, H2SO4 and SO42-, follows this definition, as sulfuric acid dissociates stepwise into HSO4- and SO42- ions. Therefore, E is not a pair of conjugates.
TT0

Homework Statement

Which pairing is not a set of conjugates?

A. OH1– and H2O
B. HC2H3O2 and C2H3O21–
C. HCl and Cl1–
D. NH3 and NH41+
E. H2SO4 and SO42–

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't choose because conjugates, from what I learnt, is basically an acid or a base and its equivalent with more or less protons. All of the pairs have protons as their only difference. The only special case is E with 2 proton difference, but I know H2SO4 is sulfuric acid and when it has donated its protons it will become SO42–. So it seems to me E would also be conjugate. However, the answer is E. Could someone explain to me why E is not a pair of conjugates?

Physics news on Phys.org
TT0 said:
conjugates, from what I learnt, is basically an acid or a base and its equivalent with more or less protons

That's imprecise. Acid and its conjugate base differ by exactly one proton.

Please remember, that sulfuric acid dissociates stepwise:

H2SO4 ↔ HSO4- + H+

and

HSO4- ↔ SO42- + H+

Can you show now conjugate pairs in this process?

Likes TT0
I see thanks Borek

1. What is a set of conjugates?

A set of conjugates refers to a group of elements that are related by a certain mathematical operation, such as conjugation. In chemistry, conjugates are often used in reference to acids and bases, where the conjugate base of an acid is formed by removing a hydrogen ion (H+) and the conjugate acid of a base is formed by adding a hydrogen ion.

2. What is not considered a set of conjugates?

A set of conjugates must have a consistent relationship based on a mathematical operation. Therefore, random elements or objects that do not share a common operation or relationship cannot be considered a set of conjugates.

3. Why are sets of conjugates important in chemistry?

Sets of conjugates allow us to understand and predict the behavior of acids and bases in chemical reactions. By knowing the relationship between an acid and its conjugate base, we can determine how the acid will react and what products will be formed.

4. Can elements other than acids and bases have conjugates?

Yes, conjugates can exist in other fields of science and mathematics. For example, in group theory, an element and its inverse are considered conjugates. In linguistics, words that have the same root or origin can also be considered conjugates.

5. How are sets of conjugates related to symmetry?

In mathematics, sets of conjugates are often used in the study of symmetry. For example, conjugate classes in group theory are used to describe the symmetry of geometric shapes. In chemistry, conjugate acids and bases also exhibit symmetry in terms of their proton transfer reactions.