What is the acceleration of the block on the incline?

In summary, the problem involves a mass of 16.0 kg being pulled along a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.14 for a distance of 8.3 m. The mass is then pulled up a frictionless incline at an angle of 38.0° with a tension of 56.0 N. The work done by tension before the block reaches the incline is 366.267398276404 J. The work done by friction on the flat horizontal surface is -182.38752 J. The speed of the block before it begins to travel up the incline is 4.79435866409679 m/s. The distance traveled up the incline before the block comes to
venceslau

Homework Statement

A mass m = 16.0 kg is pulled along a horizontal floor, with a coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.14, for a distance d = 8.3 m. Then the mass is continued to be pulled up a frictionless incline that makes an angle θ = 38.0° with the horizontal. The entire time the massless rope used to pull the block is pulled parallel to the incline at an angle of θ = 38.0° (thus on the incline it is parallel to the surface) and has a tension T = 56.0 N.

2. The attempt at a solution
1) What is the work done by tension before the block gets to the incline?

T*cos(rad(theta))*d = 366.267398276404 J

2) What is the work done by friction as the block slides on the flat horizontal surface?

-muk*m*g*d = -182.38752 J

3) What is the speed of the block right before it begins to travel up the incline?

sqrt(2*(366.267+(-182.38))/m) = 4.79435866409679 m/s

4) How far up the incline does the block travel before coming to rest?
I have tried everything I can think of, but I keep getting it wrong...

5) What is the work done by gravity as it comes to rest?
This question depends on 4 if I'm not mistaken, so haven't been able to do it yet...

Physics news on Phys.org
venceslau said:
1) What is the work done by tension before the block gets to the incline?

T*cos(rad(theta))*d = 366.267398276404 J
OK.

2) What is the work done by friction as the block slides on the flat horizontal surface?

-muk*m*g*d = -182.38752 J
Careful. Friction = μN. Since the rope is pulling up on the block, the normal force is not simply mg.

3) What is the speed of the block right before it begins to travel up the incline?

sqrt(2*(366.267+(-182.38))/m) = 4.79435866409679 m/s
You'll need to redo this one.

4) How far up the incline does the block travel before coming to rest?
I have tried everything I can think of, but I keep getting it wrong...
What's the acceleration of the block when it's on the incline?

Doc Al, thanks for your prompt reply!

This is an online system, and it only took the answer as being correct once I excluded the Y component of the Tension. But I agree with you, it should be factored in there. All the equations I presented above, have already been accepted by the system.

Acceleration of the block on the incline:
-(g*sin(theta) - T/m) ...?

Edit: I finally got it, thanks for the push Doc Al, that was the question I needed asked! :D

Last edited:

Related to What is the acceleration of the block on the incline?

1. What is a block on incline with tension?

A block on incline with tension is a physics problem that involves a block or object placed on an inclined surface with a rope or cable attached to it. The tension in the rope or cable is an important factor in determining the motion of the block.

2. How is tension in a block on incline calculated?

Tension in a block on incline can be calculated using the formula T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of incline.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incline and tension in a block on incline?

The tension in a block on incline is directly proportional to the angle of incline. This means that as the angle of incline increases, the tension also increases.

4. How does the weight of the block affect the tension in a block on incline?

The weight of the block has a direct impact on the tension in a block on incline. As the weight of the block increases, the tension also increases.

5. What other factors can affect the motion of a block on incline with tension?

Other factors that can affect the motion of a block on incline with tension include the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface, the length of the incline, and the mass of the rope or cable. Air resistance can also play a role in the motion of the block.