What is the amplitude of an EM wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
iScience
Messages
466
Reaction score
5
i always hear about the frequency/wavelength, and the speed of the wave, but i never heard about the actual amplitude of the wave itself? how would one derive this? I'm not referring to intensity... intensity deals with the number of photons being captured by a detector... I'm referring to the actual amplitude of the EM wave itself. if it truly is a wave, it MUST have an amplitude right? what is it? how do i derive it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Page 11 of this link gives the relation between E-field amplitude [itex]E_0[/itex] and intensity (power per area) [itex]I[/itex] as

[tex]I = \frac{E_0^2}{2 \ c \ \mu_0}[/tex]

Edit added:
The derivation comes from writing the energy density in terms of E and B (as given in any decent E-M textbook), and then using

[tex]\text{Intensity} = \text{Energy density} \cdot c[/tex]
 
Last edited: