What is the angle between two vectors?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, In order to find the angle between two given vectors, A and B, you can use the cross product AxB or the dot product A*B divided by the product of the norms of A and B. The dot product will give you the cosine of the angle, while the cross product will give you the sine of the angle. Both methods are valid and it ultimately depends on the complexity of the vectors.
UrbanXrisis
vectors -- basic help

Two vectors are given by A=-3i+4j and B=2i+3j. I need to find the angle between A and B

I know AxB is 17k because:
-3i+3j + 4j*2i = -9k-8k = 17k

I'm not sure how to find the vector

Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
Two vectors are given by A=-3i+4j and B=2i+3j. I need to find the angle between A and B

I know AxB is 17k because:
-3i+3j + 4j*2i = -9k-8k = 17k

I'm not sure how to find the vector
Do you know how to find the dot product? (It's very similar to the cosine difference identity in trigonometry)

Edit: By the way, AxB is -18k, not 17k. You have to cross multiply (-3*2)-(4*3) to find the cross product.

Last edited:
my book says -17k for an answer. It might be wrong or something.

To find the angle between A and B...
sin^(-1)[AXB]/[AB]
where AXB is the cross product... and AB is ??

not sure what the equation is says

UrbanXrisis said:
my book says -17k for an answer. It might be wrong or something.

To find the angle between A and B...
sin^(-1)[AXB]/[AB]
where AXB is the cross product... and AB is ??

not sure what the equation is says
Yeah, it's -17k. What ever gave you the idea it wasn't? (Okay, I admit, the second time I looked at it, I looked at your -3i + 3j and thought I was looking at your two vectors).

Yes, that would work, since your cross product only has one component - otherwise you'd need the norm. A dot B over the product of the norms also works, but gives you the cosine of the angle, instead.

In other words, you'd wind up with (-3*2)+(4*3)/(5*√13) = cos (θ)

The first question you said was " I need to find the angle between A and B"
then "my book says -17k for an answer." You do understand that "-17k" is not an angle, don't you?

Yes, it is true that the length of uxv is |u||v|sin(θ) and you can use that to find the angle. But the cross product is much more complicated than the dot product and u.v is |u||v|cos(θ) that's a much simpler way to find the angle.

Related to What is the angle between two vectors?

What are vectors and why are they important in science?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. They are important in science because they allow us to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and acceleration, which have both size and direction.

How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first break them down into their horizontal and vertical components. Then, add or subtract the corresponding components to get the resulting vector. This process is known as vector addition or subtraction.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, such as temperature or mass. A vector has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force. Scalars can be added or subtracted by simply adding or subtracting their numeric values, while vectors require a more complex process.

Can vectors be multiplied?

Vectors can be multiplied, but not in the same way as scalars. There are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product. The dot product results in a scalar while the cross product results in a vector.

How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as navigation systems, computer graphics, and physics simulations. They are also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and economics to model and analyze complex systems.