What is the Angle Turned by the Wheel of a Car During Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a car traveling at different speeds and the calculation of the angle turned by the car's wheel during a specific time period. The participants discuss various equations and concepts such as angular velocity, acceleration, and distance traveled. The final answer is determined to be 23.1 radians.
chase23
Alright, well, I tried and tried to solve this problem, but seemed to be getting no where.

A car travels at 1.70 m/s. The driver accelerates and increases the speed to 10.7 m/s in 2.20 s. If the radius of its wheel is 0.590 m, calculate the angle turned by the wheel during this time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome chase23 to physics forums! :smile:
There are a lot of helpful people here who would be happy to assist you, but you need to show your thoughts and where you are getting stuck, first.

Be sure to read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379 too.

I know that I'll be using the formula angular displacement=time x angular velocity. The problem gave me the time, 2.20 s so now i need to find the angular velocity.

I believe the equation linear velocity = radius x angular velocity should give me angular velocity. THe problem also gave me radius: 0.590m. What I'm confused about is the "The driver accelerates and increases the speed to 10.7 m/s in 2.20 s. Is 10.7 the linear velocity? So 10.7 = 0.590 x angular velocity?

Anyways, I think I'm on the right track and need just a little guidance.

Whether the wheels are slipping or just rolling.

If only rolling there must be some relation between the distance covered and the angle turned.

Radius of the wheels is given.

The angular velocity is not constant- it depends on how fast the car is going. Assuming the wheels are rolling, rather than slipping, as mukundpa mentioned, which seems appropriate, remember that a tire tread covers exactly the same distance as the car. How far will the car go in 2.2 seconds? What is the circumference of a tire?

Assume acceleration is constant. This is not mentioned, but it's natural. And at first put aside angular velocity because you don't need it. All you need is how much angle the wheel proceeded.

Then the speed is given

[tex]v = v_0 + at[/tex] where a is the acceleration.

Now we get a.

[tex]v(2.2) = v_0 + 2.2a = 10.7m/s,[/tex] so [tex] a= \frac {10.7-1.7}{2.2} = 9/2.2[/tex]

The distance the car advanced is given as

[tex]\int_0^{t_1} (v_0 + at)dt = v_0 t_1 + \frac 1 2 a t_1^2[/tex]

and the angle the wheel rorated in radian is given as

[tex]\frac {v_0 t_1 * \frac 1 2 a t_1^2} {r} = 1304/59?[/tex]

(strange value; my mistake? Anyway it's in radian. Formulae are correct :smile: )

Last edited:
chase23 said:
A car travels at 1.70 m/s. The driver accelerates and increases the speed to 10.7 m/s in 2.20 s. If the radius of its wheel is 0.590 m, calculate the angle turned by the wheel during this time.

Determine the distance traveled during 2.2 s.

Now, the circumference (the distance traveled with one revolution, assuming no slip) of the circle is 2[itex]\pi[/itex]r, where r is the radius, and 2[itex]\pi[/itex] is the angle (in radians) in one revolution.

Also, the '1304' should be '1364' according to my calcs.

Last edited:
this is just angular velocity...

[tex] v= \omega r [/tex]

Alright, i was able to follow what you said maverick and got 1364/59 radians. That should be the answer, correct? I'll double check with my professor on tuesday, but would like to get a headstart on the problem.

= 23.1 rad is what i get too.

Related to What is the Angle Turned by the Wheel of a Car During Acceleration?

1. What is the angle turned by a wheel?

The angle turned by a wheel is the measure of the change in direction of the wheel as it rotates. It is typically measured in degrees or radians and can be calculated using the circumference of the wheel and the distance traveled.

2. How is the angle turned by a wheel related to the distance traveled?

The angle turned by a wheel is directly proportional to the distance traveled. This means that the larger the distance traveled, the larger the angle turned by the wheel will be.

3. What factors affect the angle turned by a wheel?

The angle turned by a wheel is affected by the diameter of the wheel, the distance traveled, and the speed at which the wheel rotates. It can also be affected by external factors such as friction and the terrain on which the wheel is moving.

4. How is the angle turned by a wheel different from the angle of rotation?

The angle turned by a wheel is the actual change in direction of the wheel as it rotates, while the angle of rotation is the angle between the initial and final position of the wheel. This means that the angle of rotation may be larger or smaller than the angle turned by the wheel, depending on the path it takes.

5. Why is the angle turned by a wheel important in physics?

The angle turned by a wheel is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion and dynamics of objects. It is a fundamental concept in rotational motion and is used in many applications such as calculating torque, angular velocity, and acceleration. It also helps us analyze the efficiency and performance of machines that use wheels, such as bicycles and cars.