What is the Angular Frequency of Small Oscillations on a Nonuniform Disk?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular frequency for small oscillations of a nonuniform disk. The necessary equations, including the parallel axis theorem, kinetic energy of a rotating object, and the Lagrangian are mentioned. A solution is attempted using these equations, but ultimately the professor's solution is desired, which involves the Lagrangian L = (1/2)*[m*(R^2 + A^2 - 2AR*cos(phi)) + I]*phi'^2 + m*g*A*cos(phi) and an angular frequency of omega = sqrt( (m*g*A) / ( m*(R-A)^2 + I) ).
GleefulNihilism
Well, I had a couple problems on my final I was hoping to go over- hope nobody minds. Here's the second.

Homework Statement

A nonuniform disk of radius R and mass m has the center of mass at a distance A from the geometrical center. Its moment of inertia about the axis passing through the center of mass and perpendicular to it's plane is I. Assuming that the cylinder rolls without sliding, find the angular frequency of small oscillations about a position of stable equilibruim on a horizontal plane.

Homework Equations

Parallel Axis Theorem
I = i + mr^2, where i is the moment of inertia through the geometrical center.

Kinetic Energy of A Rotating Object
T = T(translational) + T(rotational)
= (m/2)*(x'^2 + y'^2) + (1/2)*I*omega^2

Lagrangian
L = T - U
And
d( dL/dq' ) / dt - dL/dq = 0, where ' is short hand for the time derivative.

Small Angle Approximation
cos(phi) is about equal to 1 - (1/2)*(phi)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, we put the pieces of the Lagrangian together.

U = Potential Energy, in this case we only worry about Gravitational. Basing it off of the center of mass of the cylinder I got this.

U = m*g*(R - A*cos(phi)) where phi is the angle of the center of mass of the disk to the center of the disk to the vertical axis.

T(rotational) = (1/2)*I*phi'^2.

By parallel-axis theorem I = (mR^2)/2 + mA^2

so T(rotational) = (m/2)*((R^2)/2 + A^2)*phi'^2.

And T(translational) = (m/2)*(x'^2 + y'^2)

x = D + A*sin(phi) where D is displacement from the origin in x.
y = R - A*cos(phi)

So x' = A*phi'*cos(phi) and y' = A*phi'*sin(phi)

Which gives T(translational) = (m/2)*((A*phi'*cos(phi))^2 + (A*phi'*sin(phi))^2)
Which simplifies to T(translational) = (m/2)*A^2*phi'^2

Thus L = (m/2)*A^2*phi'^2 + (m/2)*((R^2)/2 + A^2)*phi'^2 - m*g*(R - A*cos(phi))

We limit ourselves to small oscillations so. . .

L = (m/2)*((R^2)/2 + 2A^2)*phi'^2 - m*g*(R - A*(1 - (1/2)*phi^2))

Thus dL/d(phi') = m*(2A^2 + (R^2)/2)*phi' so d( dL/dq' ) / dt = m*(2A^2 + (R^2)/2)*phi''

And dL/d(phi) = -m*g*A*phi

So, phi'' + (g*a)/(2A^2 + (1/2)*R^2) * phi = 0

and omega = sqrt((g*a)/(2A^2 + (1/2)*R^2)) from the characteristic equation of such a lagrangian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Still no bites?

Well, if it helps I just want to see how the professor got this.

A.) L = (1/2)*[m*(R^2 + A^2 - 2AR*cos(phi)) + I]*phi'^2 + m*g*A*cos(phi)

B.) omega = sqrt( (m*g*A) / ( m*(R-A)^2 + I) )

What is Nonuniform Disk Frequency?

Nonuniform Disk Frequency refers to the frequency at which a disk rotates in a nonuniform manner, meaning that different parts of the disk rotate at different speeds.

Why is Nonuniform Disk Frequency important?

Nonuniform Disk Frequency can affect the performance and stability of mechanical systems that use disks, such as hard drives and engines. It can also impact the accuracy of measurements taken from rotating disks.

How is Nonuniform Disk Frequency measured?

Nonuniform Disk Frequency is typically measured using a tachometer or a frequency analyzer. These devices measure the rotational speed of the disk at different points and calculate the frequency based on the differences in speed.

What factors can cause Nonuniform Disk Frequency?

Nonuniform Disk Frequency can be caused by various factors, including imbalances in the disk, uneven distribution of mass, and mechanical wear and tear. It can also be affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance.

How can Nonuniform Disk Frequency be reduced?

To reduce Nonuniform Disk Frequency, the underlying causes must be addressed. This may involve balancing the disk, replacing worn or damaged components, and minimizing external forces through proper lubrication and maintenance. Advanced techniques such as active vibration control systems may also be used to reduce Nonuniform Disk Frequency.