What is the angular momentum of the system after the collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
shangri-la89
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A small puck of mass 36 g and radius
25 cm slides along an air table with a speed
of 1.9 m/s. It makes a glazing collision with a
larger puck of radius 59 cm and mass 85 g (ini-
tially at rest) such that their rims just touch.
The pucks stick together and spin around af-
ter the collision.
Note: The pucks are disks which have a
moments of inertia equal to 1/2mR^2.
What is the angular momentum of the sys-
tem relative to the center-of-mass after the
collision? Answer in units of kgm2/s.


Homework Equations


L=Iw
w=V/r
Torque=I*alpha
L=RxP


The Attempt at a Solution


To be honest I have no idea. I tried several obviously ill-fated attempts. I have found the center of mass, and I know that it has to do with crossing the initial linear momentum with the new radius... I think...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi shangri-la89! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and an omega: ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

(oh, and it's a grazing collision … a glazing collision is when you walk into a glass door! :biggrin:)

What is the angular momentum of the system before the collision?