What is the anode net charge on a typical AAA battery?

In summary, the voltage is due to redox reactions, and the charge on the anode is about 1 micro Coulomb.
jaydnul
I mean on the actually anode, what is the usual net charge around? How many extra electrons to protons are there? The reason I ask is because I'm confused what causes the voltage, is it the higher charge density relative to the other plate?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not that knowledgeable about this so maybe someone will correct me soon, but I don't think there is an excess charge on the plates of a battery. I believe that the current is caused by a redox reaction. Basically chemicals at both plates are reacting with each other. The plates just facility that reaction by transporting electrons from one side to the other.

Evanish is right in that the potential is due to redox reactions, nevertheless there is an excess charge on the plates of the battery.
Specifically, there is a charge double layer on each electrode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_layer_(interfacial)
On a path starting in the electrode and going deep into the electrolyte, the voltage jumps on crossing the double layer on a distance known as the Debye length (see the article) d. I would guess it to be smaller than 1 mum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_layer_(interfacial)
Hence if you know the voltage U of the battery and the surface A of the anode, you can get an estimation of the charge on the anode using formulas for the capacity of a condenser with these dimensions. Namely Q=UC and ##C=\epsilon A/d##, where ##\epsilon## is the dielectric constant of the solvent, e.g. of water. So with the assumed Debye length d and A being some cm^2, i would guess C to be about 1 ##\mu F##. So Q will be of the order of 1 micro Coulomb.
Without a better knowledge of the Debye length, this is only an educated guess and could be wrong by one or even two orders of magnitude.

Likes Evanish

Related to What is the anode net charge on a typical AAA battery?

What is the anode net charge on a typical AAA battery?

The anode net charge on a typical AAA battery is positive.

Why is the anode net charge positive on a AAA battery?

The anode on a AAA battery is typically made of zinc, which has a tendency to lose electrons and become positively charged.

How does the anode net charge affect the function of a AAA battery?

The anode net charge is essential for the function of a AAA battery. It creates an electric potential difference between the anode and cathode, allowing for the flow of electrons and the generation of electricity.

Can the anode net charge on a AAA battery change over time?

Yes, the anode net charge on a AAA battery can change over time as the battery is discharged and its chemical reactions occur. As the zinc anode loses electrons, its net charge will decrease.

What other factors can affect the anode net charge on a AAA battery?

The type of electrolyte used in the battery, the temperature, and the age of the battery can all affect the anode net charge on a AAA battery.