What is the Argument of (z+i)/(z-1) when it equals 3π/2?

• Thread starter Aranc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a calculus exam question involving the argument of a complex number, and another person guiding them through the solution. They determine that the complex number z must be on the negative imaginary axis and eventually arrive at the solution z = (i-ri)/(-ri-1), with r being a positive natural number. The student expresses gratitude and hopes to do well on the exam.
Aranc

Homework Statement

Hey all. I am trying to get ready for my upcomming calculus exam, but I am kind of stuck here. I have to solve: arg((z+i)/(z-1))=3π/2

Homework Equations

ehm none

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to fill in z=a+bi:
(a+bi+i)/(a-1+bi)
then multiply it with its conjugated complex
(a-1-bi)/(a-1-bi)
then I get:
(a2-a-abi+abi-bi-b2+ai-i-b)/(a2-a-abi-a+1+bi+abi-bi+b2)
simplify:
=(a2-a-b2-b-bi+ai-i)/(a2-2a+1+b2)..
sure, I got rid of the complex part in the denumerator, but I have no idea what to do next..any help would be appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Aranc! :smile:

Suppose you had to solve arg(z)=3π/2.
What would z be?

thanks for the welcome:)
z would be any number smaller then 0 on the I am axis?

Last edited:
Yes! :wink:

So ((z+i)/(z-1)=-r i for some real number r > 0.

Can you solve z from this?

I think so,
(z+i)/(z-1)= -r i with r = a positive natural number
-r i (z-1) = z + i
-r i z + r i = z + i
-r i z - z = i - r i
z (-r 1 -1) = i - r i
so z = (i-ri)/(-ri-1) with r = a positive natural number

this is it right?:)

Yep! :smile:

thanks a lot! now I hope I can manage the questions on the exam about complex numbers:) don't have to think to difficult..

Related to What is the Argument of (z+i)/(z-1) when it equals 3π/2?

1. What is the argument of (z+i)/(z-1)?

The argument of a complex number is the angle it makes with the positive real axis on the complex plane. In this case, the argument of (z+i)/(z-1) is the angle between the line connecting the complex number to the origin and the positive real axis.

2. How do you find the argument of a complex number?

To find the argument of a complex number, you can use the formula arg(z) = arctan(b/a), where a is the real part of the complex number and b is the imaginary part. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate the angle.

3. Why is the argument of (z+i)/(z-1) equal to 3pi/2?

The argument of a complex number is equal to the angle it makes with the positive real axis on the complex plane. In this case, the complex number (z+i)/(z-1) lies on the negative imaginary axis, which corresponds to an angle of 3pi/2 or 270 degrees.

4. Can the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be negative. It is measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis, so any angles in the second or third quadrant (180-360 degrees) would have a negative argument.

5. How does the argument of (z+i)/(z-1) change as z varies?

The argument of (z+i)/(z-1) changes as z varies because the complex number (z+i)/(z-1) itself changes. As z moves on the complex plane, the angle it makes with the positive real axis changes, resulting in a different argument for (z+i)/(z-1).