What is the average pulling force?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration and speed of a trolley sliding down a slope, as well as the average pulling force needed to stop the trolley at the foot of the slope. The conversation also addresses the confusion over whether to consider mgsin(angle) and friction in the calculations. Ultimately, it is determined that these factors should be taken into account and the average pulling force is found to be 63.6N up the slope.
kurtlau
COULD ANYONE PLEASE ANSWER ME FOR I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SHOULDN'T WE CONSIDER mgsin(angle) and friction AS WELL?

At the top of a slope, a trolley(mass:20kg) is released from rest and slides down freely along the slope (the runway is 25m long and makes an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal, the frictional force is 20N).
1. Find the acceleration of the trolley.(1.59)
2. Find the speed of the trolley when it is half way down the slope.(6.3)

Then, a person catches the trolley when it is half way down the slope and makes it stop at the foot of the slope. What is the AVERAGE PULLING FORCE?
v=0,u=6.3,s=12.5
Since v^2-u^2=2as,
a= -1.59
Average pulling force=20(1.59)=31.8
I DON''T UNDERSTAND WHY WE NEEDN'T HAVE
Net force = ma --> Pulling force-mgsin15+f=20(-1.59)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Physics news on Phys.org
kutlau,

It looks to me as though you're confused on a few points.

I think you need to consder friction in your calculation for the speed the trolley is going when it's halfway down the ramp (the part where no one is pulling) Edit: On second look, it seems you're doing this correctly.

I'm pretty sure your'e supposed to assume that the person pulls parallel to the ramp. So do you need that sin(15) factor?

Last edited:
Makes sense to me!

kurtlau said:
COULD ANYONE PLEASE ANSWER ME FOR I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SHOULDN'T WE CONSIDER mgsin(angle) and friction AS WELL?
Of course you should.
At the top of a slope, a trolley(mass:20kg) is released from rest and slides down freely along the slope (the runway is 25m long and makes an angle of 15 degrees with the horizontal, the frictional force is 20N).
1. Find the acceleration of the trolley.(1.59)
Right. (Using a value of g = 10 m/s^2.)
2. Find the speed of the trolley when it is half way down the slope.(6.3)
Right.
Then, a person catches the trolley when it is half way down the slope and makes it stop at the foot of the slope. What is the AVERAGE PULLING FORCE?
v=0,u=6.3,s=12.5
Since v^2-u^2=2as,
a= -1.59
Right. Acceleration is equal in magnitude, but now points up the slope. (The sign convention you are using is down = positive.)
Average pulling force=20(1.59)=31.8
This is the average net force on the trolley, not the pulling force of the person.
I DON''T UNDERSTAND WHY WE NEEDN'T HAVE
Net force = ma --> Pulling force-mgsin15+f=20(-1.59)
Assuming that by "pulling force" they mean the average force exerted by the person (parallel to the slope), then you are on the right track but made an error in sign. The pulling force (F) and the friction both point up the slope:
-F +mgsin(15) -20 = ma = 20(-1.59), so
F = mgsin(15) -20 +20(1.59) = 63.6 N up the slope
This makes sense. As it rolls down, there is a net force of 31.8N down the slope, so to make it stop with the same acceleration (but negative) you have to have a net force of 31.8N up the slope. Which means you have to push up with a force of 63.6N.

thank you very much

1. What is pulling force?

Pulling force, also known as tension, is a force that is exerted in a direction away from an object in order to move or stretch it. It is often measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lb).

2. How is pulling force calculated?

The formula for calculating pulling force is F = m * a, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. In other words, the pulling force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What is the average pulling force?

The average pulling force can vary depending on the specific situation. However, in most cases, it is calculated by taking the total pulling force exerted over a period of time and dividing it by the duration of that time period.

4. What factors can affect pulling force?

There are several factors that can affect pulling force, including the mass of the object being pulled, the surface on which the object is being pulled, the angle of the pull, and the force of friction. Additionally, external forces such as gravity and air resistance can also impact the pulling force.

5. How is pulling force used in real life?

Pulling force is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as towing a car, lifting weights, or using a pulley system. It is also an important concept in engineering and mechanics, as it helps determine the amount of force needed to move or manipulate objects.