What is the best method to get a matrix into upper triangular form?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the determinant of a matrix using gaussian elimination and cofactors. One person struggles with getting the matrix into upper triangular form, but eventually finds the correct answer of -12 using row operations and cofactors.
Firepanda
[SOLVED] Determinant of Matrices

Find the det. of the matrix:

1 3 -2 2
3 0 -1 4
1 -3 4 2
2 3 -3 3

Using gaussian elimination to get it into upper triangular form (which I think is easiest) is where I am struggling. I get as far as:

1 3 -2 2
0 -9 5 -2
0 -6 6 0
0 -3 0 -1

Now I am trying to get everythingbelow the diagonal all zeros, next i was going to use row3 and add on 2 lots of row1 to get a 0 for the -6, but it also removes one of my zero values and replaces it as a 2.

I guess the method I am using is wrong to get it into upper traingular form, can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Perhaps I should be using column operations instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually perhaps I'm being stupid and doing this completely wrong, I think I can use cofactors instead, I don't know where I got the other method from, I guess it was for something else to do with matrices :)

-12 is my answer if that looks correct.

Firepanda said:
next i was going to use row3 and add on 2 lots of row1
That's not going to work (as you already found out), instead add multiples of the second row to the third and fourth one (e.g. add the second to the first -2/3 times)

By the way, the answer of -12 is not correct.

awww, was the method of cofactors bad? :P cos I only did it with 3x3 matirces in practise.

Last edited:
Just looked up "cofactor" on Wikipedia -- obviously I know the method but I never heard that name :smile:
That method will also work for any matrix (though the larger the matrices get, the more work it will be), so you probably just made a calculation error.
Can you post a calculation?

actually I just got the answer using my original method as -12 again, are you sure it's not correct?

my end matrix for the original method is:

1 3 -2 2
0 -9 5 -2
0 0 8/3 4/3
0 0 0 0.5

and 1*-9*(8/3)*0.5 is -12 :P

Firepanda said:
my end matrix for the original method is:

1 3 -2 2
0 -9 5 -2
0 0 8/3 4/3
0 0 0 0.5

and 1*-9*(8/3)*0.5 is -12 :P

Maple tells me the answer's zero. We can't really help you unless you show every row operation.

Well in my original method my row operations were:

R2 - 3R1 and R3 - R1 and R4 - 2R1

to give

1 3 -2 2
0 -9 5 -2
0 -6 6 0
0 -3 0 -1

then, R3 - (2/3)R2 and R4 - (1/3)R2

to give

1 3 -2 2
0 -9 5 -2
0 0 (8/3) (4/3)
0 0 (-5/3) (-1/3)

then finally R4 + (5/8)R3

to give

1 3 -2 2
0 -9 5 -2
0 0 8/3 4/3
0 0 0 0.5
:)

It all seems ok to me, considering how I got the same answer for both methods, unless the methods were wrong.

Firepanda said:
Well in my original method my row operations were:

R2 - 3R1 and R3 - R1 and R4 - 2R1

to give

1 3 -2 2
0 -9 5 -2
0 -6 6 0
0 -3 0 -1
The last row is wrong; that is, check "R4-2R1."

Ah dammit.

Still weird I ended up with the same answer for both :P

Nono, w8 w8, the start matrix i wrote down here wasn't correct :P it should have been:

1 3 -2 2
3 0 -1 4
1 -3 4 2
2 3 -4 3

=P I hope I'm correct now, sorry lol, guess i was typing out the numbers too quick

That has determinant -12 indeed, so you were correct after all :smile:
It's often in the little steps

Related to What is the best method to get a matrix into upper triangular form?

1. What is a determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a mathematical value that is calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine certain properties of the matrix, such as whether it has an inverse or if it is singular.

2. How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix is calculated by using a specific formula that involves the elements of the matrix. The formula differs depending on the size of the matrix, but generally involves multiplying elements and adding or subtracting them in a specific pattern.

3. What does the determinant of a matrix tell us about the matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is a useful tool for understanding the properties of a matrix. It can tell us if the matrix has an inverse, if it is singular, and if it is linearly independent. It can also be used to solve systems of linear equations and calculate areas and volumes in geometry.

4. Why is the determinant of a matrix important?

The determinant of a matrix is important because it has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in various fields to solve problems, make predictions, and analyze data. It is also a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is essential for understanding more advanced topics in mathematics.

5. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the number of row swaps that are performed during the calculation. If an odd number of row swaps are performed, the determinant will be negative, and if an even number of row swaps are performed, the determinant will be positive.