What is the best way to bring technology to market

  • Thread starter Thread starter komatsu8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Technology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
komatsu8
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Aloha
to protect my invention , do I patent each component and then
combine components and sell as a hole?
Can the patent process be trusted?
this device is built from off the and configured into an
unexpected product and can only be used for safety for law enforcement and
soldiers. hopefully among all you high thinkers is a person that works with their hands
Komatsu8
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
komatsu8 said:
Aloha
to protect my invention , do I patent each component and then
combine components and sell as a hole?
Can the patent process be trusted?
this device is built from off the and configured into an
unexpected product and can only be used for safety for law enforcement and
soldiers. hopefully among all you high thinkers is a person that works with their hands
Komatsu8

Welcome to the PF. To help you a bit, I did a search for threads talking about patents (at least the ones that I've been involved in). Here is the hit list. Please read through some of the threads, to see if they start to answer some of your questions. There are also resources mentioned in the threads, like the Nolo Press, which you may choose to follow up on.

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1849197

.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Before you start thinking about patenting and such, you should realize a few things-

1) You should hire a professional engineer, have him sign a non-disclosure agreement, and then look over your idea and make sure it is both feasible and worth looking into.

2) Hire a patent lawyer for a few hours to pick his brain and decide if it's really worth it. The most important thing to realize about a patent is that YOU have the responsibility to defend it, not the patent office. If someone looks at your published patent and decides to copy it you will have to sue them, and that means expensive lawyer and court fees (especially if you're going after a company).

3) As a general rule, I would say that individuals are not able to effectively defend patents. You might be better off trying to pitch and sell the idea to a company that might be interested in it (or get them to hire you).
 
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. To help you a bit, I did a search for threads talking about patents (at least the ones that I've been involved in). Here is the hit list. Please read through some of the threads, to see if they start to answer some of your questions. There are also resources mentioned in the threads, like the Nolo Press, which you may choose to follow up on.

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1849197

.

[thank you for your generous reply, I am currently interviewing engineers and have begun looking for attorney on the matter of being
responsible for the security of my device. The trick is ,to get it into service with my trade mark. I need to do this , before a large corp
gets wind of what I am making. I've waxed on this enough,Ill get back to what I do best , making things. komatsu8
 
Last edited by a moderator:
komatsu8 said:
Aloha
to protect my invention , do I patent each component and then
combine components and sell as a hole?
Can the patent process be trusted?
this device is built from off the and configured into an
unexpected product and can only be used for safety for law enforcement and
soldiers. hopefully among all you high thinkers is a person that works with their hands
Komatsu8
The claims of a patent are what is protected, so one can claim the entire system and several components.

For a successful patent, and one that is defensibly protected, it must meet the three criteria of being new, useful and non-obvious. The new and non-obvious parts requires one to do a review of the 'state of the art' to be sure that the invention does not already exist and that no one practicing the art could conceive of it independently.

One does not necessarily need a patent attorney. It is often sufficient to hire a patent agent for less money.

Non-disclosure agreements are a must.