Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the best way to bring technology to market

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Aloha
    to protect my invention , do I patent each component and then
    combine components and sell as a hole?
    Can the patent process be trusted?
    this device is built from off the and configured into an
    unexpected product and can only be used for safety for law enforcement and
    soldiers. hopefully among all you high thinkers is a person that works with their hands
    Komatsu8

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. To help you a bit, I did a search for threads talking about patents (at least the ones that I've been involved in). Here is the hit list. Please read through some of the threads, to see if they start to answer some of your questions. There are also resources mentioned in the threads, like the Nolo Press, which you may choose to follow up on.

https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php?searchid=1849197 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Nov 16, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before you start thinking about patenting and such, you should realize a few things-

1) You should hire a professional engineer, have him sign a non-disclosure agreement, and then look over your idea and make sure it is both feasible and worth looking into.

2) Hire a patent lawyer for a few hours to pick his brain and decide if it's really worth it. The most important thing to realize about a patent is that YOU have the responsibility to defend it, not the patent office. If someone looks at your published patent and decides to copy it you will have to sue them, and that means expensive lawyer and court fees (especially if you're going after a company).

3) As a general rule, I would say that individuals are not able to effectively defend patents. You might be better off trying to pitch and sell the idea to a company that might be interested in it (or get them to hire you).

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4
    [thank you for your generous reply, I am currently interviewing engineers and have begun looking for attorney on the matter of being
    responsible for the security of my device. The trick is ,to get it into service with my trade mark. I need to do this , before a large corp
    gets wind of what im making. Ive waxed on this enough,Ill get back to what I do best , making things. komatsu8

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Nov 22, 2009 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The claims of a patent are what is protected, so one can claim the entire system and several components.

For a successful patent, and one that is defensibly protected, it must meet the three criteria of being new, useful and non-obvious. The new and non-obvious parts requires one to do a review of the 'state of the art' to be sure that the invention does not already exist and that no one practicing the art could conceive of it independently.

One does not necessarily need a patent attorney. It is often sufficient to hire a patent agent for less money.

Non-disclosure agreements are a must.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook