What is the best way to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine Alppm from a calcium oxide sample using spectrophotometry and has followed the HACH method with NIST standards. However, they have only achieved a 40% recovery and are seeking suggestions for improving their results, including double checking instrument calibration and considering alternative methods.
KtinaN904

Homework Statement

I am attempting to find Alppm from a calcium oxide sample by spectrophotometry.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I’ve used conc. HCl and heated to dryness, then added 50/50 HCl and reheated. I then filtered the solution and corrected the pH. I’ve followed the HACH method but I’m only seeming to get a 40% recovery using NIST standards.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your approach to finding Alppm from a calcium oxide sample using spectrophotometry. It seems like you have followed the HACH method and have used NIST standards for comparison. However, it is important to note that the recovery percentage may vary depending on the accuracy and precision of your instrument and technique.

One suggestion I have is to double check the calibration of your instrument and make sure that all the necessary corrections have been made. It may also be helpful to run multiple replicates of your sample and take the average to improve the accuracy of your results.

Additionally, you may want to consider using a different method for determining Alppm, such as atomic absorption spectroscopy or inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, as they may provide more accurate results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis!

1. What is the best method to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide?

The best method to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide is through a process called electrolysis. In this process, the Calcium oxide is dissolved in a molten salt and then an electrical current is passed through it, causing the Aluminum to be separated and collected.

2. Can Aluminum be digested from Calcium oxide using a chemical reaction?

Yes, it is possible to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide using a chemical reaction. One method is to react the Calcium oxide with hydrochloric acid, which will produce Calcium chloride and Aluminum chloride. The Aluminum chloride can then be extracted and purified.

3. Is it safe to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide at home?

No, it is not safe to attempt to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide at home. The process requires specialized equipment and knowledge of handling dangerous chemicals. It is best to leave this process to professionals in a controlled laboratory setting.

4. Are there any alternative methods to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide?

Yes, there are other methods to digest Aluminum from Calcium oxide. Another common method is called the Bayer process, which involves dissolving the Calcium oxide in a solution of sodium hydroxide, then filtering out the impurities and precipitating the Aluminum hydroxide. This can then be converted into Aluminum oxide, which is used to produce pure Aluminum.

5. What are the potential uses for Aluminum extracted from Calcium oxide?

Aluminum extracted from Calcium oxide has many potential uses, including being used in the production of various alloys for construction, transportation, and electrical applications. It is also used in the manufacturing of household items such as cans, foil, and utensils. Additionally, Aluminum is used in the aerospace industry for its lightweight and corrosion-resistant properties.