What is the car's vertical velocity

In summary, the conversation is about two physics problems involving motion and velocity. In the first problem, an automobile travels at a constant speed and an observer is trying to find the car's vertical velocity and distance traveled. In the second problem, a pitcher throws a fastball toward home plate and the batter is asked how long they can watch the ball before swinging and how far the ball drops from its original horizontal line. The answers to these questions involve using equations and taking into account acceleration due to gravity.
BriannaUND
I am having problems with the following questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
19) Automobile travels at constant speed of 60 km/hr (16.7m/s), 800 m along a straight highway that is inclined 5 degrees to the horizontal. An observer notes only the vertical motion of hte car. What is the car's vertical velocity and vertical travel distance.
Part A: vy= vsin5= 16.7 x sin5 = 1.46 m/s
Part B: I don't know which equation to use because the problem doesn't state a given amount of time. I don't know how to figure out the time from this but I'm assuming once I get that number I can put it into the equation
y= (vsin5)t
80)A pitcher throws a fastball horizontally at a speed of 140 km/hr (38.9m/s) toward home plate, 18.4 m away. a) If the batter's combined reaction and swing times total .350sec, how long can the batter watch the ball after it has left the pitchers hand before swinging? b) In traveling to the plate, how far does the ball drop from its original horizontal line?
Part A: I calculated 38.9 m/s divided by 18.4 m to get 2.11 sec or the time it takes for the ball to reach home plate from the pitcher. I then subtracted 2.11 sec- .350 sec = 1.76 sec for the time the batter can watch.
Part B: I tried substituting my numbers into the equation x=vxt = 38.9 m/s x 1.76 sec = 68.5 m but I don't think that this number looks accurate.

Physics news on Phys.org
19 B: How long does it take the car to go 800 m at 16.7 m/s? That's the time the car is going up the slope. However, it is easier to apply the same trigonometry to the distance: the slope is 5 degrees and the hypotenuse is 800 m.

80 A:?? 38.9 m/s divided by 18.4 m is 2.11 "1/sec". Check your units.
B: No, the ball does not dip 38.9 m! The pitcher did NOT throw the ball straight down! You are trying to find the vertical distance and the initial speed you were given is horizontal. Take the acceleration due to gravity into account.

For the first question, you are correct in using the equation y= (vsin5)t to determine the vertical travel distance. However, in order to find the time, you can use the equation d=vt, where d is the distance traveled (800 m) and v is the speed (16.7 m/s). Rearranging the equation, you can solve for time (t=d/v). Once you have the time, you can plug it into the first equation to find the vertical travel distance.

For the second question, you are on the right track in calculating the time it takes for the ball to reach home plate. However, for part B, you need to use the equation y= 1/2at^2, where a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and t is the time calculated in part A. This will give you the vertical distance the ball drops from its original horizontal line. Hope this helps!

1. What is vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity refers to the speed at which an object is moving in an upward or downward direction.

2. How is vertical velocity calculated?

Vertical velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's vertical position by the change in time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for vertical velocity?

The unit of measurement for vertical velocity is meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

4. What is the difference between vertical velocity and horizontal velocity?

Vertical velocity refers to the speed in the vertical direction, while horizontal velocity refers to the speed in the horizontal direction. They are often measured and calculated separately.

5. How does vertical velocity affect an object's motion?

The vertical velocity of an object affects its motion by determining the rate at which it moves in the vertical direction. A higher vertical velocity will result in a faster upward or downward motion, while a lower vertical velocity will result in a slower motion.