What is the centroid of the given root locus?

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the textbook regarding the calculation of the centroid for the given equation. The textbook states that the answer is -2, but based on the given zeros and poles, the correct answer should be 0. This is because the sum of the roots is 0 and the denominator calculation is also correct. The textbook may have made a mistake in listing the zeros as -1 + i√7 and -1 - i√7, when they should be (-4,2) or -4+2=-2.
magnifik
i just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly as there is some discrepancy in my textbook. i know the centroid is equal to (Ʃpoles - Ʃzeros) / (# of poles - # of zeros)

the equation i have is s2 + 2s + 8 / s(s2 + 2s + 10)

so the zeros are -1 + i√7 and -1 - i√7
and the poles are 0, -1 + 3i, -1 - 3i

and the centroid = (0 - 1 - 1) - (-1 -1) / (3-2) = 0

in my textbook they say that the answer is -2.. am i missing something?
my textbook has been wrong before...

Physics news on Phys.org
(0-2)/1= -2 The 2nd order pole is complex. The sum of the roots are 0. The zeros should be (-4,2) {not -1-1 as shown} or -4+2=-2. Your denominator calculation is correct that 3poles -2zeros is 1. The correct answer should be -2

Related to What is the centroid of the given root locus?

What is the definition of the centroid of a root locus?

The centroid of a root locus is the point on the real axis where the asymptotes of the root locus intersect. It represents the center of the root locus and can be used to determine the location of the breakaway and break-in points.

How is the centroid of a root locus calculated?

The centroid can be calculated by taking the average of the real parts of the poles and zeros of the open-loop transfer function. This can be represented as:
Centroid = (Sum of real parts of poles - Sum of real parts of zeros) / (Number of poles - Number of zeros).

What does the centroid of a root locus indicate about the system?

The centroid of a root locus provides information about the stability of the system. If the centroid is on the left side of the complex plane, the system is stable. If it is on the right side, the system is unstable. Additionally, the distance of the centroid from the imaginary axis can also indicate the damping ratio of the system.

Can the centroid of a root locus change?

Yes, the centroid of a root locus can change as the gain of the system is varied. As the gain increases, the centroid will move towards the right side of the complex plane and may cross the imaginary axis, resulting in a change in stability.

How is the centroid of a root locus used in controller design?

The centroid of a root locus can be used to design a controller that will stabilize an unstable system or improve the stability of a marginally stable system. By placing the centroid at a desired location, the controller gain can be calculated to achieve the desired stability and performance of the system.