What is the coefficient of friction in a child pulling a sled up an incline?

In summary, AdityaDev is trying to solve a problem involving the tension in a rope on a sled going up a slope. He has two different attempts at solving the problem, but is not completely sure how to get the answer. He first draws a diagram to break down the forces, but realizes that the forces are not zero and that kinetic friction is at play. He then tries to solve the problem again, this time rereading the problem and realizing that the velocity is not changing, which leads him to think that the acceleration is zero and he comes up with the equation for the force of gravity (8 lb-mgsin15=0). However, he is not sure if his diagram is correct.
Sprockets

Homework Statement

A child pulls a 10lb sled up a 15 degree incline at a constant speed. The child is pulling on a rope attached to the sled. If the rope is inclined at 37 degrees to the horizontal and there is an 8 pound tension in the rope, what is the coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fk=μN
Fs≤μN
3. The Attempt at a Solution

First what I did was draw a diagram break up the forces using a free body (see attached). Since the object is not floating up or going downwards through the ground the normal force and the force of gravity must add up to zero so the normal force and gravitational force are equal. With that done, I realized that since it is going up the incline with an 8lb the force opposing it must be mgsin(15). Thus I concluded that Fk=mgsin(15) and since the object is in motion kinetic friction is at play here Fk=μN and with some algebra i came up with tan(15) which was incorrect.

Next attempt I reread the problem and it said at "a constant speed" from my calc classes I know that when the velocity is not changing the acceleration is zero so i figured Fnet=ma a is zero so I came up with 8lb-mgsin15=0 but that made no sense. Is my diagram correct? Where am i going wrong here?

Attachments

• phs.jpg
    phs.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the object is not floating up or going downwards through the ground the normal force and the force of gravity must add up to zero ...
No ... there are three forces perpendicular to the slope - one of them is the y component of the force of gravity. But you are correct that the sum of the forces is zero.

Is my diagram correct? Where am i going wrong here?
You have drawn the tension parallel to the slope - check the angles again.
Write down the equation for the forces parallel to the slope.

What are the forces acting along the normal to the incline?
What are the forces acting along the incline?

Sorry Simon I meant to say mgcos(15) is equal to the normal force, its on my diagram.

AdityaDev, I have the force along the incline as mgsin(15). I think what's really confusing me is that 37 degree angle where is it? "rope inclined at 37 degrees to the horizontal," to me says that there is a rope that a kid is pulling on, on top of the 15 degree incline the angle between the rope and the horizontal is 37 and since the kid is pulling on this block that's on top of this 15 degree incline the tension must be parallel to the slope of the 15 degree incline. Like what i tried to draw.

Related to What is the coefficient of friction in a child pulling a sled up an incline?

1. What is the coefficient of friction force?

The coefficient of friction force is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless quantity that indicates the ratio of the force required to overcome the friction to the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of friction force calculated?

The coefficient of friction force is calculated by dividing the force required to overcome the friction by the normal force. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/Fn, where μ is the coefficient of friction force, F is the frictional force, and Fn is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction force?

The coefficient of friction force is affected by several factors, including the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants.

4. How does the coefficient of friction force impact motion?

The coefficient of friction force plays a crucial role in determining the amount of force needed to move an object over a surface. A higher coefficient of friction force means more force is needed to overcome the friction, which can slow down or prevent motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of coefficient of friction force?

The coefficient of friction force can be observed in everyday activities such as walking on a floor, driving a car, or pushing a heavy object. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the appropriate materials and surfaces for optimal friction in various applications.