What is the coefficient of kinetic friction of the surface?

In summary, the problem involves a box sliding down an incline and then traveling horizontally with a given distance. The goal is to find the coefficient of kinetic friction for the surface. The equation used is Wtotal = mgh(di)sin(zeta) - Coefficient Fk(mg)di(cos)(zeta) - Coefficient Fk(mg)dh. For a frictionless surface, the equation is Wtotal = 0 and the distance traveled on the second incline is equal to the first incline. This applies only if both inclines are at the same angle.
DKPeridot20
I have a homework question (due tomorrow) that I cannot figure out how to answer. It is:

This problem involves a single surface with a single unknown coefficient of kinetic friction that can be found. A box starting from rest, slides down along an incline a distance of 8.8 meters. The incline is at 35.5 degrees above the horizontal. After it reaches the bottom of the incline, it travels horizontally
17. meters. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction of the surface?

In class we derived an equation that I thought would work. I know that
W = Fd or mgh [h being dsin(zeta)] and that
Wtotal = Wgravity + Wfriction.
(I'm going to say that the distance on the incline is di and the distance on the horizontal is dh) So I end up with Wtotal = mgh(di) - Coefficient Fk(Normal force on the incline)di - Coefficient Fk(Normal force on the horizontal)dh which is:

Wtot = mg(di)sin(zeta) - Coefficient Fk(mg)di(cos)(zeta) - Coefficient Fk(mg)dh

Is this even the right equation and if so, how then do I solve for Coefficient Fk?:uhh:

I'm sorry that it's so hard to read.
Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
As the box starts from rest you need to use an energy argument - the gravitational potential energy the box starts with has to completely be dissipated by the frictonal force, therefore the work done against friction (mu*normal reaction force) is equal to the gravitational potential energy and you can solve it to find mu (as the mass of the block cancels out).

Remember the normal reaction force on the block is different when it's on the slope so the work done against friction will be split up into two parts: (mu*normal reaction force on slope + mu*normal reaction force on horizonal plane).

Hope that helps.

[edit]basically you have the right equation - just set Wtot equal to zero[/edit]

Oh, okay, thanks very much. I'm getting the right answer now.

I also have another problem that is exactly the same except that it deals with a frictionless surface, the box goes up another incline, and the only supplied number is the distance it travels down the first incline. Is it correct to use the same equation only setting the coefficient of friction equal to zero? I know that without friction the box will go up the second incline just as far as it came down the first, but I'm not exactly sure how to find that with an equation. I speculate:

(d1 - 1st inlcine
d2 - horizontal
d3 - 2nd incline)

Having set Wtot equal to zero I get d3sin(zeta) = d1sin(zeta) - 0 - 0 the
sin(zeta)'s cancel and there's d3 = d1.

Is this right?

DKPeridot20 said:
Oh, okay, thanks very much. I'm getting the right answer now.
I also have another problem that is exactly the same except that it deals with a frictionless surface, the box goes up another incline, and the only supplied number is the distance it travels down the first incline. Is it correct to use the same equation only setting the coefficient of friction equal to zero? I know that without friction the box will go up the second incline just as far as it came down the first, but I'm not exactly sure how to find that with an equation. I speculate:
(d1 - 1st inlcine
d2 - horizontal
d3 - 2nd incline)
Having set Wtot equal to zero I get d3sin(zeta) = d1sin(zeta) - 0 - 0 the
sin(zeta)'s cancel and there's d3 = d1.
Is this right?

That's correct if both slopes are at the same angle, otherwise the sin(zeta) doesn't cancel out

Thanks again. The problem doesn't specify, but the answer is the same distance so I'm assuming they're the same angle...

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is moving relative to the other. It is represented by the symbol μk and is a dimensionless value between 0 and 1.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to keep an object moving at a constant speed across a surface. This force is divided by the weight of the object to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the presence of any lubricants or contaminants, and the normal force between the two surfaces. It also varies with the speed of the moving object and the temperature of the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science to design and improve the efficiency of machines and reduce wear and tear on surfaces.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of resistance between two surfaces in motion, while the coefficient of static friction is the measure of resistance between two surfaces at rest. The coefficient of static friction is generally higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction because it takes more force to overcome the static friction and initiate motion.