Trouble with Plasma Frequency Calculation

In summary, the problem appears to be with the number of electrons per cubic meter, which was calculated in a previous problem. The issue might be with the index of refraction, which was assumed to be arbitrarily close to 1 without an imaginary part.
Blanchdog
Homework Statement
What is the complex refractive index of the ionosphere for an AM radio station at 1160 KHz? Is this frequency above or below the plasma frequency? Assume an electron density of 1974 electrons per cubic meter.
Relevant Equations
The Plasma frequency is given by ##\omega_p^2=\frac{N q_e }{\epsilon_0 m_e}##
The complex index of refraction is given by ## \mathcal{N}^2 = (n + \text i\kappa)^2 = 1+ \frac{\omega_p^2}{\omega_0^2-\text i \omega \gamma - \omega^2}## However, since we are dealing with a plasma, ##\omega_0 = 0## and ##\gamma = 0## and so ## \mathcal{N}^2 = 1- \frac{\omega_p^2}{ \omega^2}##
This would appear to be a straightforward algebra problem, but it just doesn't pass the smell test for me. The issue might be with the number of electrons per cubic meter, as that was calculated in a previous problem, so let me know if that number seems wrong.

My plasma frequency (##\nu##) not (##\omega##) came out to 399 Hz, which is nowhere near 1160 KHz. I calculated my index of refraction to be almost arbitrarily close to 1 with no imaginary part, which seems weird since the problem asked for a complex index of refraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blanchdog said:
The issue might be with the number of electrons per cubic meter, as that was calculated in a previous problem, so let me know if that number seems wrong.
Your value of 1974 m-3 for the electron density seems to be way too small. I think ionosphere electron densities are on the order of 1010 m-3.

Blanchdog said:
The Plasma frequency is given by ##\omega_p^2=\frac{N q_e }{\epsilon_0 m_e}##
##q_e## should be squared.

TSny said:
##q_e## should be squared.
I think that's just a typo since it doesn't look like I forgot to square it in my written work.

I calculated the number of available free electrons as follows, then was asked to assume the same number of free electrons:

The index of refraction of the ionosphere is ##\mathcal{N} = 0.9## for an FM station at ##\nu =\frac{\omega}{2\pi} = 100##MHz. Assume ##\omega_0 = \gamma = 0##.

Then
$$\mathcal{N}^2 = 1+ \frac{\omega_p^2}{\omega_0^2-\text{i}\gamma\omega -\omega^2}=1-\frac{\omega_p^2}{\omega^2} = 1- \frac{Nq_e^2}{\epsilon_0 m_e \omega^2}$$
Rearranging, we get
$$N = \frac{(1-\mathcal{N}^2)\omega^2\epsilon_0 m_e}{q_e^2}$$

Aaaaand I just found my error. When I did this on paper I forgot to square ##\omega##, decreasing my electrons per cubic meter by 8 orders of magnitude or so. Thanks for the estimate on ionosphere densities, I might never have known something was amiss otherwise.

Likes russ_watters and TSny
For @Blanchdog
Given that you said you know
## \mathcal{N}^2 = 1- \frac{\omega_p^2}{ \omega^2}##
And that The index of refraction of the ionosphere is N=0.9 for an FM station at ν=ω2π=100MHz.

Why didn't you just change the frequency ##\omega## by 1.16/100 ?

edited by the lets-be-nice police to save this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
hutchphd said:
For @Blanchdog
Given that you said you know
## \mathcal{N}^2 = 1- \frac{\omega_p^2}{ \omega^2}##
And that The index of refraction of the ionosphere is N=0.9 for an FM station at ν=ω2π=100MHz.

Why didn't you just change the frequency ##\omega## by 1.16/100 ?
1) Your calculation of ##\nu## is wrong.
2) The arithmetic of that part of the problem wasn't even part of the question because it's so trivial

Edits were done by mentor: (the lets-be-nice police have interceded here to save this post)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is plasma frequency and why is it important in calculations?

Plasma frequency is the frequency at which charged particles in a plasma oscillate. It is important in calculations because it helps determine the behavior and properties of plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of ionized gas.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of plasma frequency calculations?

The accuracy of plasma frequency calculations can be affected by factors such as temperature, density, and the presence of external magnetic fields. These factors can alter the behavior of charged particles in the plasma, leading to variations in the calculated frequency.

3. How is plasma frequency calculated?

Plasma frequency can be calculated using the formula ωp = √(ne2/ε0m), where n is the number density of charged particles, e is the elementary charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and m is the mass of the particles.

4. What are some common challenges in calculating plasma frequency?

Some common challenges in calculating plasma frequency include accurately determining the number density of charged particles, accounting for the effects of temperature and external fields, and accounting for the presence of multiple species of charged particles in the plasma.

5. How can the accuracy of plasma frequency calculations be improved?

The accuracy of plasma frequency calculations can be improved by using more precise measurements of the factors that affect it, such as temperature and density. Additionally, incorporating more advanced mathematical models and accounting for the presence of multiple species of charged particles can also improve accuracy.