What is the concept of the extended complex plane/Riemann Sphere?

In summary, the extended complex plane, also known as the Riemann Sphere, is defined as the mapping of the complex plane onto a sphere with the south pole at (0,0,0) and the north pole at (0,0,∞). This mapping allows for a unique point on the sphere to correspond to each point on the complex plane. While not a rigorous explanation, this concept captures the essence of the matter.
jimmycricket
In a report I am writing I want to define the extended complex plane/Riemann Sphere and I would like to check if I grasp the concept properly:
Consider the Euclidean space [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] where the [itex]x-y[/itex] plane represents [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. Consider the sphere with south pole [itex](0,0,0)[/itex] and north pole [itex](0,0,\infty)[/itex]. For any point in the [itex]x-y[/itex] plane there exists a unique point where the straight line from this point to the north pole crosses the sphere. Hence the complex plane [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] can be mapped bijectively onto this sphere.

I know this isn't rigorous but as a worded explanation of the concept does this capture the crux of the matter.

Jim

Mathematics news on Phys.org

1. What is the extended complex plane?

The extended complex plane is a mathematical concept that extends the traditional complex plane by adding a point at infinity. This allows for a more complete representation of complex numbers, including those with infinite or undefined values.

2. How is the extended complex plane different from the traditional complex plane?

The main difference is the addition of a point at infinity in the extended complex plane. This point serves as the "end" of the plane and allows for the representation of complex numbers with infinite or undefined values.

3. What are some applications of the extended complex plane?

The extended complex plane is primarily used in complex analysis and other areas of mathematics. It can also be used in physics and engineering to model systems with complex numbers that have infinite or undefined values.

4. How is the extended complex plane visualized?

The extended complex plane is typically visualized as a traditional complex plane with an additional point at infinity. This point is often represented as a circle or a line on the plane. It can also be visualized as a sphere with the traditional complex plane projected onto its surface.

5. Are there any limitations to using the extended complex plane?

While the extended complex plane allows for a more complete representation of complex numbers, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used to represent complex numbers with non-numeric components, such as symbols or variables. Additionally, some operations, such as division by zero, are still undefined in the extended complex plane.