What is the Correct Approach for Calculating Magnetic Field Strength?

In summary: I assumed that as a hat had a subscript y, it ran parallel to the y axis, and worked from there, getting the cross product of the unit vector in the direction of a hat, (which I took to be (0,1,0) ) and (sqrt(1/2), 0, sqrt(1/2)), which I worked out from the x and z positions given, and then scalar multiplying by the preceding stuff.In summary, the student assumed that a hat had a subscript y, and worked from there to get the cross product of a unit vector in the direction of a hat (which they assumed was (0,1,0)), and then scalar multiplied by the preceding stuff.
wheybags

Homework Statement

tbsgB.png

Homework Equations

8PPwt.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I let µ be 9, as that's the approximate permittivity of air/ free space.
I assumed that as a hat had a subscript y, it ran parallel to the y axis, and worked from there, getting the cross product of the unit vector in the direction of a hat, (which I took to be (0,1,0) ) and (sqrt(1/2), 0, sqrt(1/2)), which I worked out from the x and z positions given, and then scalar multiplying by the preceding stuff.
Did I approach this correctly? If not, where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
wheybags said:
I let µ be 9, as that's the approximate permittivity of air/ free space.

µ is the permeability of free space.

ehild

Is permeability the same as permittivity? Beacuse my notes say permittivity.

Permeability of vacuum: [tex] \mu_0 = 4 \pi 10^{-7} N/A^2 [/tex]

Permittivity of vacuum: [tex] \epsilon_0 = \frac{1}{c^2 \mu_0} \approx 8.854 \times 10^{-12} F/m[/tex]

So my notes are wrong?

No, the permeability is used in magnetic fields, while permittivity is used in electric fields. Permittivity measures the two-way interaction between electric fields and mediums. Like say how much an exterior electric field affects the formation of interior electric fields in water.
Permeabiity on the other hand, measures the capability of a medium to uphold a magnetic field, no matter if an exterior magnetic field creates it or the medium itself.

EDIT: Yes, I'm afraid your notes are wrong.

Well, ****, I knew my lecturer was bad, but I mean, really...

Forgot to say, if I were to fix that error, was my solution otherwise correct?

In this problem, the radial vector points from the wire to the origin. So your r-hat vector is not correct.

ehild

Oh, I thought it was from the point (in this case the origin) to the wire. Was my interpretation of a hat subscript y correct?

The current in the wire causes the magnetic field, and R and r-hat is with respect to the wire which is not at the origin now.
The unit vector pointing in the direction of the current is OK.

ehild

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space.

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is measured using a unit called Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). One Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss.

3. What factors affect magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the amount of current flowing through a wire, the distance from the source of the field, and the type of material the magnetic field is passing through.

4. What are the practical applications of magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is used in a wide range of applications, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in compasses, speakers, and magnetic levitation systems.

5. How does magnetic field strength affect living organisms?

Magnetic field strength can affect living organisms, such as migratory animals and birds, which use the Earth's magnetic field for navigation. It can also have an impact on human health, with some studies suggesting a potential link between exposure to high levels of magnetic fields and certain health conditions.