What is the current carrying capacity of wire with 1.5mm^2 area?

In summary, the data provided is for a range of wire gauges and the length of time the wire can carry a current. It is not specific to your situation.
jaymin nayak
I have wire of 1.5 mm2(Flexible). Now i want to measure it's current carrying capcity how i can measure it's current carrying capacity?

Engineering news on Phys.org

If you were prepared to operate it at a high temperature then its current would be much more than if you needed to have an undetectable temperature rise. So you would need to specify your conditions.
In practice, the rating is very conservative and will have been reached by experiment and drastically based.
Bottom line is that there is no real answer to this very real problem.

I have to measure current carrying capacity just at room temperature(27'c). I just need simple practical. The wire is PVC insulated.

But it's not simple. Do you want to melt the PVC? How thick is the insulation? What is the thermal conductivity of the PVC sleeving? What temperature do you want to operate at?
All you can do is to calculate the resistance of a length of cable and that will tell you how much power it will dissipate when carrying a given current. That will not tell you anything about it's 'current capacity'.
This is why they publish recommended current ratings - based on experiment and experience. Sums are not enough.

I am not just being difficult. You are not (or, whoever sets the question, is not) specifying what is actually needed to answer the question. Or do you just want to melt the wire? Even that is not straightforward unless the conditions are specified.

...and did you really mean "measure"?

I have been given u some data which I have. Thickness of insulation is 0.70 mm. Ambient air temperature is 40'c. Max. conductor temperature is 70'c.Thermal resistivity of PVC is 620'C cm/W. The length of the cable is 1m. & it's max. resistance is 12.1 ohm per km. Sir i have only that data & I have to learn simple practical for measuring current carrying capacity of PVC insulated wire. In above data The ambient temp, The max.conductor temp & Thermal resistivity of PVC are common.if u can't understand please give me more detail about current carrying capacity of cable. Yes i have to melt the pvc. I want to also know which cable has more current carrying capacity PVC insulated or Rubber insulated? Why? Plaese explain it in detail

Last edited:

I really don't want to get involved in this. Use VERY thick wire (1.5mm) and a 2A fuse with a Powerbreaker in the mains socket. That will avoid a lethal shock or a fire. You haven't the manufacturing skills or facilities to go for an economical solution.

Which wire has more current carrying capacity PVC insulated or Rubber Insulated ? Why?

Look over the list of factors. Which ones are relevant? As you haven't committed yourself by giving a full specification them I cannot tell you. This seems too much like a h/w assignment for me to be able to give you more specific advice but I could point out that one type of insulation is much more common.

Moderator's note: the above posts have been moved here from an unrelated thread.

There are several factors that go into this, including:

the ambient temperature
natural vs. forced convection
the thermal resistance and melting point of the insulation
how many wires will there be in the cable?

As a starting point, you could google wire current capacity

I think what this author is asking is relatively simple. How to measure (observe) the current capacity of a wire around 16 AWG gauge with different insulations in ambient conditions.

From what I remember, such an experiment was made in an episode of DIY network's Deconstruction to compare copper wires to aluminum wires. To actually melt the copper wire, (if I remember well) it took quite some current and was provided by a welding power supply. In your case, if you're only melting the insulation, you won't probably need that much current. Remember to perform this experiment in a safe environment, since toxic fumes will most likely be released and there's always a possibility of starting a fire. Also, remember that you are dealing with thermal time constants, so heating the cable with a very fast high-current spike is different than heating the cable with a dc current (or 60 Hz AC).

M.

How long is a piece of string?

There are many tables out there for the current carrying capacity of wire based on its gauge. If its area is 1.5mm^2 that puts it some where in between 15 and 16 gauge wire. Here is an example table.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html

Obviously this depends on how long the wire has to maintain this current, and what the acceptable heat threshold is. For what reason do you need this data? Is this a personal project, or homework?

Related to What is the current carrying capacity of wire with 1.5mm^2 area?

1. What is the current capacity of wire?

The current capacity of wire refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that a wire can safely handle without overheating or becoming damaged. This capacity is determined by the wire's gauge, material, and length.

2. How is the current capacity of wire measured?

The current capacity of wire is measured in amperes (Amps) or milliamperes (mA) and is typically listed on the wire's packaging or in a wire sizing chart. It is important to choose the correct wire size and type to ensure the wire can safely carry the amount of current needed for a specific application.

3. What factors affect the current capacity of wire?

The current capacity of wire is affected by several factors including the wire's gauge (thickness), material, length, and ambient temperature. Thicker wires with a larger gauge have a higher current capacity, while longer wires and those made of materials with higher resistance have a lower current capacity. Additionally, higher temperatures can decrease a wire's current capacity.

4. How can I determine the current capacity of a wire?

To determine the current capacity of a wire, you can refer to a wire sizing chart or use an online calculator. These resources take into account the wire gauge, material, and length to provide an estimated current capacity. It is important to note that these are just estimates and other factors, such as ambient temperature, may affect the actual current capacity.

5. What happens if I exceed the current capacity of a wire?

If the current capacity of a wire is exceeded, it can overheat and potentially cause a fire. It can also damage the wire, leading to a decrease in its current capacity or even failure. It is important to always use wires that can handle the amount of current required for a specific application to ensure safety and proper functioning.