Current Homework Statement & Equations

• Thread starter glover_m
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the current entering a node using various equations, including Ohm's law and power equations. The total resistance in the circuit was also calculated using the formula for parallel circuits. The importance of distinguishing between reactance and resistance was also mentioned.
glover_m

Homework Statement

Problem-1.jpg

Homework Equations

What is the current entering the node.

The Attempt at a Solution

I=V/R
P=IV -> 510/.470=1085V
R(Inductor)=wL -> 2pi*60*1.25 = 471.24
R(Resistor)=V/I -> 1085/0.47 = 2308.74
R(Total)= sqrt(R(Resistor)^2+R(Inductor)^2) -> 2356.12
V=sqrt(2)*V(RMS) -> 1534.42
I=V/R -> 1534.42/2356.12 = 0.65A

Physics news on Phys.org
I=V/R
P=IV -> 510/.470=1085V
R(Inductor)=wL -> 2pi*60*1.25 = 471.24
Reactance in OHMS
R(Resistor)=V/I -> 1085/0.47 = 2308.74 OHMS
R(Total)= sqrt(R(Resistor)^2+R(Inductor)^2) -> 2356.12
You can't do this for parallel circuits. You have to work out the currents and then put them in the right angled triangle.

Don't forget that reactance is the term for the impedance of inductors and capacitors, not resistance which is purely for resistors.

I would like to commend you on your attempt at solving the problem. It seems like you have correctly used Ohm's Law and the equations for calculating power and impedance. However, it would be helpful to provide some context for the problem, such as the circuit diagram or any additional information given. This will help in verifying the accuracy of your calculations and providing a more comprehensive solution. Additionally, it would be beneficial to clearly label your equations and show your steps in solving the problem. This will make it easier for others to follow your thought process and understand your solution. Overall, good job on using the relevant equations and providing a numerical answer. Keep up the good work!

What is the purpose of stating a homework problem and equations?

The purpose of stating a homework problem and equations is to clearly define the task at hand and provide a framework for solving it. It helps the student understand what concepts and equations are relevant to the problem and how to approach it.

Why is it important to include all relevant equations in the homework statement?

Including all relevant equations in the homework statement ensures that the student has all the necessary tools to solve the problem. It also helps the student understand the connections between different equations and how they can be used together.

What should be included in a well-written homework statement?

A well-written homework statement should clearly state the problem, provide any necessary background information, list all relevant equations, and specify any given values or variables. It should also include any specific instructions or guidelines for solving the problem.

Can I use different equations or methods to solve a homework problem?

While the equations listed in the homework statement may be the most efficient or commonly used methods for solving the problem, students are encouraged to think critically and use alternative equations or methods if they can still arrive at the correct solution.

What should I do if I am unsure about the validity of an equation in the homework statement?

If you are unsure about the validity of an equation in the homework statement, you should consult your teacher or a reliable source to confirm if it is applicable to the problem. It is important to use accurate equations to ensure the correct solution.